The Case With No Name MK.I

The purpose of this project is to replace the "case" of my M0n0wall system, and viably build a proper cardboard case.  But, I don't believe this will be a practical case for many people.  I can do this because I have the time, tools, supplies, and desire to build this.  As this progresses I will give my verdict on whether this/these cases are worth anyones' time and effort.  For now it's an arts/crafts project and should be treated like such until determined otherwise.

post-172468-0-16426500-1421635543_thumb.

• Final Build
  • Measurements and Tolerences Known
  • Proper Tools Aquired
  • Materials  Inspected and approved
  • Preliminary Templates *
    • Drill Templates
    • Blank Cutting Templates
    • Sheet metal cutting templates for mounting MOBO and PSU, and cut Electrical grounding for the case
    • Other case half templates with one tooless Drive bay that accepts 3.5" and 2.5" drives without tools
  • Safety Inspection
    • Fire/Stress Tests
  • 4K Video Documentation In Progress *
    • 10s Intro
    • Show Old Case and New Case side by side and Explain project
      • Why this was necessary
      • What this accomplishes
    • List required materials
    • Explain the template while showing the carboard layers being cut in a timelapse
      • Give the exact number of layers of a specific type of cardboard to use
    • Explain the Cutting templates as a timelapse of the cutting being done
    • Assemble the board and test it
    • Close case and enjoy new network case make by me
    • Closing Remarks
      • Pros/Cons and Practicality high doubts
      • Likes/Dislikes of the build
      • Planned Improvements in the MKII and NAS.1 If this build doesn't make it too much of a hassle
    • Edit
      • Video
        • Special Effects, cutting, and time lapsing
        • Delete in camera audio and dictate over.
      • Do a final once over after 2 days away for fresh perspective, and either start over, quit, or go with it
    • Release the Video.

Legend

*              Incomplete

Completed

Not Started Yet

The Drill template to ATX Form Factor...

post-172468-0-17497400-1420101326_thumb.

This Odd looking template is all 6 cutting templates compressed down into one form.  Since most of the templates for this side of the case shared the same profile I compressed them into one shape.   The hook is for cable management, and it's curved to give it more strength while lowering the need for more materials.  There are two base heights that are divided up for air channels.  The lower one will rest against the surface, and the other height will be for fans.  The PSU will make use of the flutes in the cardboard for airflow (MKII will be set up a little differently, but I don't have to worry about that right now).  The total interior height is the height of an expansion slot.  This is because everything else is shorter than that.  Now the estimated dimensions are as follows.

length 457.4mm + 10mm front + 10mm back / 3.175mm 144 layers and 150 layers of cardboard with the extra 2cm.

height 111.3mm + 10mm top + 20mm or 10mm at bottom

depth 315.15mm + 10%20mm extension

post-172468-0-62010000-1421630087_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Since this isn't part of the main post I will just post it as a reply. The video is in 4k and I have found a way to export for free in 4k. I have finally got my camera ready for this. My only regrets are that I didn't have any lighting ready for this test shot, and my only lense is a wide angle. The lense is unchangeable at the moment, so I must deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhgFwnQLdqg&feature=youtu.be

I picked up a scroll saw for a song by chance today. I figure instead of cutting these by hand I will save myself time, footage, and frustration by just cutting them on a machine. The foot is missing from the saw, and I will eventually have to pick up a new one for safety. But, I will have to pick up a new blade to replace the corroded spiral one that you see in the video. That's why the shot is so far back. I need room to work on the machine to get it oiled up and install a new blade. I will be able to upload a good chunk of the unfinished footage by Monday since I will be working on it tomorrow. It takes a while to work these UHD videos into a proper viewing format.

Side note*** that lamp is too close to the work and over exposing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_TF3U0y-IM&feature=youtu.be