New wireless card for laptop

ibbadib
Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Hey there,

I am a noob when it comes to networking hardware, therefore I am asking you guys :-).

My thinkpad L440 does not have a 5 GHZ compatible wireless networking card, and since my highschool recently made the shift I would like to buy one and put it in there.

Do any of you guys know a good one?

BTW: it still needs to be compatible with 2.4 GHZ as that is what we use in my home.

Thanks.

Intel centrino ultimate N6300 but remember they don't always work since Lenovo likes to block other wifi cards so you might need to flash a custom bios.

Hey there,

I am a noob when it comes to networking hardware, therefore I am asking you guys :-).

My thinkpad L440 does not have a 5 GHZ compatible wireless networking card, and since my highschool recently made the shift I would like to buy one and put it in there.

BTW: it still needs to be compatible with 2.4 GHZ as that is what we use in my home.

Thanks.

Hey there,

Thanks.

Intel centrino ultimate N6300 but remember they don't always work since Lenovo likes to block other wifi cards so you might need to flash a custom bios.

It's an Intel that is in there already.

I will quickly check what exact model it is.

It's an Intel that is in there already.

I will quickly check what exact model it is.

That's not how it works Lenovo can lock the BIOS to use only one specific model, been there done that.

That's not how it works Lenovo can lock the BIOS to use only one specific model, been there done that.

But if I bought one from the Lenovo website it should work?

But if I bought one from the Lenovo website it should work?

Sometimes you need to find out which one are supported or just try it. chances are 50/50

Sometimes you need to find out which one are supported or just try it. chances are 50/50

Yeah I guess.

Anyway, would it be hard to flash a new BIOS if neccesarry? would there be a chance to brick my MOBO?

Yeah I guess.

Anyway, would it be hard to flash a new BIOS if neccesarry? would there be a chance to brick my MOBO?

Not that hard but there's a chance to brick it.

I've got a Y500 and just bought a dual band router to use as an access point. Also looking into getting a new network adapter for it, but they aren't the easiest things to find and I didn't even realize that they are whitelisted within the BIOS. Is there some sort of list somewhere that can be referenced?