Windows not installing

Paper Moon

This is the exact same issue I had with my previous motherboard. I had a USB with windows 8.1 on it. hooked up to my Maximus 7 Hero It boots up once says Werkernal.sys isnt being detected or something along those lines. The error code was ~0x0000f or something like that. And now whenever it boots to the windows screen where it looks like its about to install. It doesn't. I tried going to the BIOS and setting USB to Full Optimization but that seemed to do nothing as well, the QCode on the board says that IDE Initializing is started. If someone could help that would  be great

Try installing the Windows 8.1 onto a different USB and trying again

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Is the usb a backup image or an install image?

Im pretty sure its a Install Image. I used the tool from Windows where you enter your key and it formats a boot drive.

Try to get a new Boot Image.

To obtain a new Image, You'll have to download Windows Installation Media creator from Microsoft's Website.

Select the version you want, and you can save it as a ISO file wherever you want.

And then try to create the bootable USB with different USB Drive not the drive you've already created. May be your drive is not good.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Try installing the Windows 8.1 onto a different USB and trying again

To obtain a new Image, You'll have to download Windows Installation Media creator from Microsoft's Website.

Select the version you want, and you can save it as a ISO file wherever you want.

And then try to create the bootable USB with different USB Drive not the drive you've already created. May be your drive is not good.

I tried your tool on the link kameshss, but the same problem is happening. I used a different USB as well. But that isnt helping, if it means anything inside the BIOS it lists windows boot manager in the boot order.

I tried your tool on the link kameshss, but the same problem is happening. I used a different USB as well. But that isnt helping, if it means anything inside the BIOS it lists windows boot manager in the boot order.

The usb drive name/model number should be there. make sure its is at the top.

Move along. Nothing to see here

The usb drive name/model number should be there. make sure its is at the top.

This time, it sat on the post screen, there was no windows logo, it just did the spinning like loading thing and went to black screen, heres a picture of  my boot information on my bios, if theres anything I should change, let me know http://imgur.com/BPHWlJP

This time, it sat on the post screen, there was no windows logo, it just did the spinning like loading thing and went to black screen, heres a picture of  my boot information on my bios, if theres anything I should change, let me know http://imgur.com/BPHWlJP

Try booting from your lexar drive. i assume that is your usb with the install image.

Try booting from your lexar drive. i assume that is your usb with the install image.

That was what happened when I set it first in boot order, should I use it to Override, if so, UEFI version or normal, also. Do I dsiable anything in the boot order?

try override then, make your windows boot managers 1 and 2 then the lexar 3 and 4.

That was what happened when I set it first in boot order, should I use it to Override, if so, UEFI version or normal, also. Do I dsiable anything in the boot order?

try override then, make your windows boot managers 1 and 2 then the lexar 3 and 4.

I made the windows boot managers 1 and 2 and the Lexar 3 and my Hard drive 4 and then overridden the drive from Lexar UEFI drive and this would happen pre-black screen http://imgur.com/CdIhqgg

that is just your mobo restarting. How did you create your boot drive? did you just drag an iso or similar into the drive or did you use a boot drive creator?

I made the windows boot managers 1 and 2 and the Lexar 3 and my Hard drive 4 and then overridden the drive from Lexar UEFI drive and this would happen pre-black screen http://imgur.com/CdIhqgg

that is just your mobo restarting. How did you create your boot drive? did you just drag an iso or similar into the drive or did you use a boot drive creator?

I was talking about the little microsoft loading thing in the bottom middle of the screen. But, I used this tool from Kames on microsofts website.

Ok. The ROG logo was there so i assume that was just your mobo. the only thing i can suggest is to try it again but don't override the boot. then if that doesn't work mess with the boot order.

I was talking about the little microsoft loading thing in the bottom middle of the screen. But, I used this tool from Kames on microsofts website.

Ok. The ROG logo was there so i assume that was just your mobo. the only thing i can suggest is to try it again but don't override the boot. then if that doesn't work mess with the boot order.

If this doesn't work, any PC repair shops you can reccomend?

If this doesn't work, any PC repair shops you can reccomend?

Sorry but i don't know of any. you could try installing linux then installing it like you would any other program.

I don't know if you've tried this, and I apologise if you have, but in your boot order, could you change the option for the lexar thumb drive from UEFI to legacy or BIOS (I'm not sure exactly what the terminology for your motherboard is) but it's basically a compatibility mode for devices that don't support UEFI boot.

I've tried UEFI boot before and I've never got it working, because I'm either a complete numbskull, or it just plain doesn't work, so I always end up having to use the legacy version for a bootable device.

Which in your case, you would have two options for the thumb drive, one called UEFI Lexar JumpDrive, and another called (along the lines of) BIOS Lexar JumpDrive. so try the second one to see if that works.

If this doesn't fix the issue, then it's more likely a corrupt download of the ISO for Windows and reinstalling it with a fresh download might help.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

I don't know if you've tried this, and I apologise if you have, but in your boot order, could you change the option for the lexar thumb drive from UEFI to legacy or BIOS (I'm not sure exactly what the terminology for your motherboard is) but it's basically a compatibility mode for devices that don't support UEFI boot.

I've tried UEFI boot before and I've never got it working, because I'm either a complete numbskull, or it just plain doesn't work, so I always end up having to use the legacy version for a bootable device.

Which in your case, you would have two options for the thumb drive, one called UEFI Lexar JumpDrive, and another called (along the lines of) BIOS Lexar JumpDrive. so try the second one to see if that works.

If this doesn't fix the issue, then it's more likely a corrupt download of the ISO for Windows and reinstalling it with a fresh download might help.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

On my board I have a "CSM" a compatibility Support Module, heres a picture of the settings http://imgur.com/1L61JbA is there anything I can change

On my board I have a "CSM" a compatibility Support Module, heres a picture of the settings http://imgur.com/1L61JbA is there anything I can change

I apologise, I didn't make myself clear, those options are fine I would imagine.

But on this page http://imgur.com/BPHWlJP

Under "Boot Option 1" You're trying to boot "UEFI: (FAT) Lexar JumpDrive" as the first boot device.

Click on the drop down list for "Boot Option 1" and change it to the legacy option for the Lexar JumpDrive so that "Boot Option 1" reads something like "Legacy: (FAT) Lexar JumpDrive" Or more likely just "Lexar JumpDrive (15280MB)"

I hope that is a bit clearer to you.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium

What is your HDD partition scheme? GPT or MBR?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I apologise, I didn't make myself clear, those options are fine I would imagine.

But on this page http://imgur.com/BPHWlJP

Under "Boot Option 1" You're trying to boot "UEFI: (FAT) Lexar JumpDrive" as the first boot device.

Click on the drop down list for "Boot Option 1" and change it to the legacy option for the Lexar JumpDrive so that "Boot Option 1" reads something like "Legacy: (FAT) Lexar JumpDrive" Or more likely just "Lexar JumpDrive (15280MB)"

I hope that is a bit clearer to you.

What is your HDD partition scheme? GPT or MBR?

Well, I need help again, I got everything working, but I had forgot to do raid on the two same exact drives I had. So I enabled RAID and it wiped everthing I first got whea uncorrectable error. and now whenever I try to install it keeps getting errors and restarting. And whenever I disable the raid and try installing on a single drive, the same problems occur. What had fixed the previous problem was using a different hard drive.

Well, I need help again, I got everything working, but I had forgot to do raid on the two same exact drives I had. So I enabled RAID and it wiped everthing I first got whea uncorrectable error. and now whenever I try to install it keeps getting errors and restarting. And whenever I disable the raid and try installing on a single drive, the same problems occur.

What RAID type are you trying to install to? Is it a Mirrored (RAID 1) or striped (RAID 0) or something else.

I don't have a massive amount of experience with RAID, but I guess one thing to do is remove both drives from the RAID array (do this in the RAID config screen)

Then boot the flash drive and see if you can get into the Windows installer where it gives you the options to format the drives.

And use the format options to delete all the partitions from both drives, then quit the installer, and then go back into the RAID config screen and add the drives back into the array you wish to you use and try again.

It could possibly be a problem with one of the drives, but if it worked before, then there's no reason why it shouldn't work again.

I'm happy that you got past the first issue, and hopefully we'll help you get past this one too. :)

What RAID type are you trying to install to? Is it a Mirrored (RAID 1) or striped (RAID 0) or something else.

I don't have a massive amount of experience with RAID, but I guess one thing to do is remove both drives from the RAID array (do this in the RAID config screen)

Then boot the flash drive and see if you can get into the Windows installer where it gives you the options to format the drives.

And use the format options to delete all the partitions from both drives, then quit the installer, and then go back into the RAID config screen and add the drives back into the array you wish to you use and try again.

It could possibly be a problem with one of the drives, but if it worked before, then there's no reason why it shouldn't work again.

I'm happy that you got past the first issue, and hopefully we'll help you get past this one too. :)

I had tested it with one drive, Its mirrored, because I do a lot of video editing and stuff, so i wanted to keep a mirror, but if it really does become a problem, Ill probably pick up a external hard drive, I had tried disabling the RAID and booting with one drive, and it didnt work, but I just remembered that I booted from the 2nd drive not the first. Ill get back to when, I try booting with the original drive!

I don't want you to think I'm running you around in circles, but so that I understand completely what you tried and didn't try.

You're trying to run RAID 1. (That's pretty obvious)

You first installed to the second drive in your list of drives but not as a RAID array, this was successful the first time around.

You then tried reinstalling to both drives in a RAID 1 array, this is when it gave you your first uncorrectable error warning, subsequent installs to this array have failed with the uncorrectable error warning?

This is when you deleted the RAID array and attempted to install Windows to the first drive in your list of drives, this was done as a single drive setup, and this also gave you an uncorrectable error, same as the RAID array, am I right so far?

And you're going to attempt to install to the second drive in your list of drives as a single drive? Same as when you first got it working?

Feel free to correct me on any of these if I'm wrong.

If all of the above is the case, I would try installing to the single drive like you did the first time when it worked, and then when you get into Windows (if it works) try running chkdsk /f on the other drive that gave the uncorrectable error, and see if the drive actually works as a storage drive.

If the drive cannot be used as a plain storage drive, then it is most likely a dead drive and you'll need to RMA it, and would be the reason why trying to install Windows to it fails.

Also, just like with the JumpDrive, make sure you're not trying to use the UEFI boot options on any of the drives, not just your JumpDrive.