Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered in Windows 8.1

Grem0

Hey all, 

This error is soooo annoying and happens at different times. I am playing a game and at any random time it tell me that the Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered.

it happens so randomly aswell it can happen a few hours into gaming or a few minutes. 

Hey all, 

This error is soooo annoying and happens at different times. I am playing a game and at any random time it tell me that the Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered.

it happens so randomly aswell it can happen a few hours into gaming or a few minutes. 

it is caused by overclock fail

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

What Nick said. 

Although this issue can be caused by a broad range of problems, so tell us any more details that you can so we can try and identify the problem. 

My build: tis be ordered

I had this error, i tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. My last resort was to buy a new GPU, and that worked.

But first, I want to give you some suggestions you can try.

1. Reinstall your display drivers. First use a tool called Display Driver Uninstaller (google it) to completely uninstall your drivers. Then redownload them.

2.Check your power supply. It might not be supplying enough stable power. The reason for this error is some times caused by applications hanging because the GPU is stalling. 

3.Go into your windows power options and select high performance, then hit change plan settings, change advanced settings, and scroll down to PCI express and make sure both of thoes options are set to off.

If these dont work, I have one other solution you can try before it comes time you may need a new GPU. So do get back to me.

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I had this error, i tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. My last resort was to buy a new GPU, and that worked.

But first, I want to give you some suggestions you can try.

1. Reinstall your display drivers. First use a tool called Display Driver Uninstaller (google it) to completely uninstall your drivers. Then redownload them.

2.Check your power supply. It might not be supplying enough stable power. The reason for this error is some times caused by applications hanging because the GPU is stalling. 

3.Go into your windows power options and select high performance, then hit change plan settings, change advanced settings, and scroll down to PCI express and make sure both of thoes options are set to off.

If these dont work, I have one other solution you can try before it comes time you may need a new GPU. So do get back to me.

OK i will try these now I will tell you if they work thanks very much 

OK i will try these now I will tell you if they work thanks very much 

May I also ask your GPU and what PSU you have?

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

May I also ask your GPU and what PSU you have?

My GPU is a 760 superclocked by EVGA 4GB Edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Superclocked-Graphics-PureVideo-Technology/dp/B00FOAEIA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419695624&sr=8-2&keywords=760+superclocked

My PSU is EVGA 600 Watt http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-600W-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B00EN3FD20/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419695658&sr=8-6&keywords=evga+psu

I have uninstall and just reinstalled the drivers and set that mode under power option to off. There was only one not two but I set it off anyway. Im gunna see if it crashes etc I will get back to you 

My GPU is a 760 superclocked by EVGA 4GB Edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Superclocked-Graphics-PureVideo-Technology/dp/B00FOAEIA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419695624&sr=8-2&keywords=760+superclocked

My PSU is EVGA 600 Watt http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-600W-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B00EN3FD20/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419695658&sr=8-6&keywords=evga+psu

I have uninstall and just reinstalled the drivers and set that mode under power option to off. There was only one not two but I set it off anyway. Im gunna see if it crashes etc I will get back to you 

Thats funny, my old GPU was a 760...

Alright if that dosent work you should do this, warning if you mess something up you could damage your system

1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

If that doesn't work, try disabling it, by adding the following DWORD: TdrLevel and setting the value to 0, then rebooting.

If that dosent work, you should reinstall Windows, and after all that, it just might be your GPU, like it was for me.

Thats funny, my old GPU was a 760...

Alright if that dosent work you should do this, warning if you mess something up you could damage your system

1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

If that doesn't work, try disabling it, by adding the following DWORD: TdrLevel and setting the value to 0, then rebooting.

If that dosent work, you should reinstall Windows, and after all that, it just might be your GPU, like it was for me.

Hey man, 

I did this a long time ago and it didnt "crash" as such it just froze my game and i had to force close it. If it happens again I will try this again. Thank you very much for all your information. It is very helpful to me 

Hey man, 

I did this a long time ago and it didnt "crash" as such it just froze my game and i had to force close it. If it happens again I will try this again. Thank you very much for all your information. It is very helpful to me 

Good luck!

i got it after the last nvidia update, but i only had to restart the pc and everything went back to normal again

Cpu: Intel i7-5930k Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme Ram: G.skill Ripjaws 4 4x4gb 2666mhz Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
PSU: Evga Supernova G2 850W Storage: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512gb Case: Phanteks P400S CPUcooler: Corsair H110 OS: Win 8.1