RAM Compatability

Go to solution Solved by vlkn´,

Slower than supported. My RAM was DDR3-1600. The motherboard was compatible with 1333, 1866, or 2400. The CPU was only 2133.

1600 is faster than 1333mhz.

1866, 2400, 2133 frequencies are only used in XMP mode or if you plan to overclock your processor.

The "incompatible" ram what microcenter said, should work fine. If not you can send it back.

I am trying to build a computer for as little money as possible. I had it all figured out for about $400 (still high quality), but then I discovered that my RAM frequency wasn't compatible with my CPU or motherboard, and that my motherboard and CPU had no common compatible RAM speeds. Fixing this rose the price up to $540, more than I have to spend. Would it be safe to just use the cheaper RAM that Microcenter says isn't compatible?

Do you mean, ram speeds faster than supported? That´s no problem.

Ram that is uncompatible is very very rare these days (if you own a mainboard from Msi/asus/gigabyte)

Can´t say the same about cheap brands. 
I would get the cheap ram that saves you 140$, BUT DDR2 IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DDR3!

If it is only the ram speed, it shouldn´t be a problem. You can send the ram back if it doesn´t work.

eh... what you mean by "my RAM frequency wasn't compatible with my CPU or motherboard"?

JEDEC profiles would solve that setting it at a standard frequency with standard latencies

Also post specs to see if we can help you

Do you mean, ram speeds faster than supported? That´s no problem.

Ram that is uncompatible is very very rare these days (if you own a mainboard from Msi/asus/gigabyte)

Can´t say the same about cheap brands. 

I would get the cheap ram that saves you 140$, BUT DDR2 IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DDR3!

If it is only the ram speed, it shouldn´t be a problem. You can send the ram back if it doesn´t work.

Slower than supported. My RAM was DDR3-1600. The motherboard was compatible with 1333, 1866, or 2400. The CPU was only 2133.

1866, 2400, 2133 frequencies are only used in XMP mode or if you plan to overclock your processor.

The "incompatible" ram what microcenter said, should work fine. If not you can send it back.

Thanks. You just saved me $160!

Thanks. You just saved me $160!

No problem, don´t believe always what people are trying to "sell"/advice you.

No problem, don´t believe always what people are trying to "sell"/advice you.

Side note- aside from the frequency, the cheaper piece is better. It is a one-piece 8GB, while the other is 2x4GB, which makes the 1x8GB more upgrade-able.