Light Network usage killing ping?

FuzzyYellow

Hey Peeps, So I like to play this game called Cube 2:Sauerbraten, and its very lightweight with network usage (its a multiplayer fps). Generally only 1-10 KBbps up or down.

Anyway, i was wondering why my ping in this game fluctuates so much whenever anyone else is doing anything online, even though a small percentage of our bandwidth is being used.

for example, my brother was playing minecraft multiplayer a few days ago, and i was playing Sauer. andway, we were nowhere near maxing out our bandwith, but i suffered huge latency, with pings of 200-300. (a normal ping is 150).

Why is this?

Here is my speeds ;)

3993279500.png

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Hey Peeps, So I like to play this game called Cube 2:Sauerbraten, and its very lightweight with network usage (its a multiplayer fps). Generally only 1-10 KBbps up or down.

Anyway, i was wondering why my ping in this game fluctuates so much whenever anyone else is doing anything online, even though a small percentage of our bandwidth is being used.

for example, my brother was playing minecraft multiplayer a few days ago, and i was playing Sauer. andway, we were nowhere near maxing out our bandwith, but i suffered huge latency, with pings of 200-300. (a normal ping is 150).

Why is this?

Here is my speeds ;)

3993279500.png

Probably due to the fact it is DSL. DSL is not known for good symmetrical bandwidth.

Probably due to the fact it is DSL. DSL is not known for good symmetrical bandwidth.

that sucks. i was really hoping there was some way to fix it. :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

that sucks. i was really hoping there was some way to fix it. :(

So wait, your ping just goes up while a slight load is on it. surprisingly your ping is actually better than mine on cable. Don't you just google fiber would be national? 

So wait, your ping just goes up while a slight load is on it. surprisingly your ping is actually better than mine on cable. Don't you just google fiber would be national? 

yes, when i'm playing, any hiccup in ping causes immediate lagging, at least in this game.

google fiber would be SO AWESOME! its so stupid, 4 miles away they have 100/10 and i'm stuck with 3/.6  <_<

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

yes, when i'm playing, any hiccup in ping causes immediate lagging, at least in this game.

google fiber would be SO AWESOME! its so stupid, 4 miles away they have 100/10 and i'm stuck with 3/.6  <_<

When I get a house someday I will make sure there is high speed (greater than 100mbps) before I even consider living there lol.

When I get a house someday I will make sure there is high speed (greater than 100mbps) before I even consider living there lol.

same here bro. :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

DSL is actually more stable than a cable connection because its a dedicated to whatever you purchase instead of Cable where they say you get 50Mbps whenever it hits that cable line outside your house its all a shared bandwidth and depending on how many people are using the internet it can slow down alot. Customers on the other hand typically dont need very high upload speeds. Youll find that with anything trying to purchase a high upload speed the price goes up considerably. IE T1/t3 lines because they are dedicated up and down for what they purchase.

Now to the problem. Do you know the ip address of the server you are connecting to?

If so shoot a trace route there and when it gets done see where the latency hits. If it is within the first two hops thats a problem on your network but further on its out of your control because it starts getting to your isp and possibly tier 2/3 providers.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

DSL is actually more stable than a cable connection because its a dedicated to whatever you purchase instead of Cable where they say you get 50Mbps whenever it hits that cable line outside your house its all a shared bandwidth.

Now to the problem. Do you know the ip address of the server you are connecting to?

If so shoot a trace route there and when it gets done see where the latency hits. If it is within the first two hops thats a problem on your network but further on its out of your control because it starts getting to your isp and possibly tier 2/3 providers.

Cool. Thanks!

Btw: how do i send a trace route?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Cool. Thanks!

Btw: how do i send a trace route?

Open up command prompt and type tracert 10.10.10.10 <- Ip of what you want to trace the route to.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Open up command prompt and type tracert 10.10.10.10 <- Ip of what you want to trace the route to.

Awesome! I will definitely try that as soon as I get a chance! Thanks!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Awesome! I will definitely try that as soon as I get a chance! Thanks!

No problem. Let me know what it says when you get around to it.

alright, i did the trace, and here is a screenshot of it. ;)

post-103118-0-92513800-1418934221_thumb.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Are you both using a wireless connection when this happens? Or are you hardwired?

Hard wired. Everything else is over wifi (2.4ghz)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

one possibility: bittorrent will significantly slow down your ping

one possibility: bittorrent will significantly slow down your ping

don't use bittorrent. thanks though ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Yep. your ping starts going up after it hits your isp. Not much you can really do about that.

Yep. your ping starts going up after it hits your isp. Not much you can really do about that.

stupid freaking Windstream!  :angry:

thanks for the help though. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Although that doesn't explain why my ping jumps so much with light usage. I only showed the ping when no one else was doing anything online. When someone starts doing something i will trace and report back.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler