Nvidia Shield First Impressions

Hyp0xia

As you may or may not be aware of, I work for a certain electronics retailer. This morning, I was tickled to have hands-on access with the Nvidia Shield and I just want to say I was very impressed. These were some of my initial impressions:

• The device fits the hands like a glove. I can foresee it remaining comfortable for lengthy gaming sessions.
  • The screen has seemingly infinite viewing angles.
  • The graphics are very impressive for a mobile gaming device.
  • While the device can currently only be used to talk to computers on the local network, I understand Nvidia is working on a way to get them to talk to computers on external networks.
  • It may be a driver or port forwarding issue, but the unit I used was unable to talk with the local network to identify any computers running GeForce graphics.
  • The Shield with which I had hands-on access was running on a non-proprietary 32GB SD card. I understand that no cap has been set on what size SD cards the device will accept.
  • The audio is shockingly good for a device of its size.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Define "seemingly infinite viewing angles".

You now breathe manually.

Regardless of what angle I viewed the screen from, it remained crystal clear.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Think a requirement for it a GeForce 600 series card or better. That could have been a factor.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Think a requirement for it a GeForce 600 series card or better. That could have been a factor.

Definitely not since there were GeForce 600 systems on the network, including one with GTX 670s in three-way SLI.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing looks pretty baller. I can't wait to see the PC Game streaming performance once that bit gets out of beta. I may have to consider a GPU upgrade to the green team if this thing works really well.

You have to install some program on the pc you want to stream from i'm pretty sure

This is epicly executed as a product, but very gimmicky.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Sometimes with crappy screens looking from an angle such as above 30oc from the screen in an direction it can wash out the colours.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Do you know how well it reacts to glare and battery duration during gaming and or standby such as listening to music or watching a video/movie.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Do you know how well it reacts to glare and battery duration during gaming and or standby such as listening to music or watching a video/movie.

I have only had my hands on one indoors, so I didn't experience any glare. Also, my time with it was brief, so I can't answer any battery questions. I neglected to ask about that during the product training I attended. :(

I have only had my hands on one indoors, so I didn't experience any glare. Also, my time with it was brief, so I can't answer any battery questions. I neglected to ask about that during the product training I attended. :(

Those are quite importent questions that i normally ask as backlight destroys a battery and I like to know how the batteries.

Listen if you care.

Honestly, I really wouldn't buy it unless I could stream my PC games outside of LAN. Like maybe at a friends house or something (somewhere with good, reliable, fast wifi). And maybe airports in the future. I really don't see the point of having one for streaming games unless you have a big house with no living room PC and you want to play on your big TV. Still not sure you'd get too great of performance doing that. Maybe streaming is just better for SP games like Skyrim.

My system: i7 2600k @3.4ghz - Corsair h110 - ASRock z77 extreme4 - 2x EVGA GTX 770ti SLI - 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz  - 120gb Crucial m4 SSD - 1tb Caviar Black WD HDD - Silverstone ATX12V 1000W 80+ Gold PFC Power Supply - NZXT Phantom 820.

Peripherals: Corsair M95 - Corsair K70 - Razer Vespula - TrackIR 5 - 2x Asus VK278Q 27" 1080p 

Honestly, I really wouldn't buy it unless I could stream my PC games outside of LAN. Like maybe at a friends house or something (somewhere with good, reliable, fast wifi). And maybe airports in the future. I really don't see the point of having one for streaming games unless you have a big house with no living room PC and you want to play on your big TV. Still not sure you'd get too great of performance doing that. Maybe streaming is just better for SP games like Skyrim.

Streaming over Wifi from anywhere may be a lot more problematic than local Wifi due to latency. Airport Wifi is not always stable, would lead to awful gaming experience overall. Streaming at a friend's house (with the PC back at yours) might be a bit better.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I reckon that in a few generations, when the screen is 1080+ p resolution and it can stream of mobile networks, it will really take off.

However at the moment I don't think that mobile networks i.e. 3G or public Wi-Fi are anywhere near good enough to play without any/ much lag.

To really use the most out of the shield I would need to get my self a new graphics card, a new router and the shield itself.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V