Does this build make sense?

Hi Linustechtipscommunity,

I've been picking up parts for a new PC for a friend of mine, and I wanted to ask you if all the parts would fit together and if their are any bottlenecks? This PC is purely for gaming, and he doesn't want a SSD, his reasoning is ridiculous but thats none of my problems. His budget ist 850€ and i think that this is the maximum I could achieve, I would be glad to hear some thoughts of all of you :)

Greetings from Germany

List of Parts:

Intel Core i5-4590

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 OC

Asus B85-PLUS(C2)

GeIL DIMM 8GB DDR3-1600

Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB

Thermaltek Smart SE 530W Power Supply

Zalman Z11 Plus Case

Get a h97 mobo instead, and get a PSU form Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, or EVGA.

Also DO NOT get a zotac 970, get one from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or EVGA.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hi Linustechtipscommunity,

I've been picking up parts for a new PC for a friend of mine, and I wanted to ask you if all the parts would fit together and if their are any bottlenecks? This PC is purely for gaming, and he doesn't want a SSD, his reasoning is ridiculous but thats none of my problems. His budget ist 850€ and i think that this is the maximum I could achieve, I would be glad to hear some thoughts of all of you :)

Greetings from Germany

List of Parts:

Intel Core i5-4590

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 OC

Asus B85-PLUS(C2)

GeIL DIMM 8GB DDR3-1600

Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB

Thermaltek Smart SE 530W Power Supply

Zalman Z11 Plus Case

Kinda. What is your buget and usecase.

Please fill in this forum so we can help you better:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

Interested in Business and Technology

Is ok. Get a h97-pro instead of the b85 :)

The zotac card is ok.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

What a great forum, awesome responses so far, I've upgraded the MoBo so far. The rest seems fine, thank you very much :)

Get a h97 mobo instead, and get a PSU form Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, or EVGA.

Also DO NOT get a zotac 970, get one from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or EVGA.

What's the reasoning behind the zotac card? I'm just curious.

I have not weird looking zotac 970 and so far it's fine though. although I haven't used it besides benchmarks.

IMO building a pc just for gaming doesn't really make any sense at all since it doesn't fall into the 3 basic needs and the stuff like oxygen and stuff.

well to in other words it's a want not a need so yeah.

H97 to go for your motherboard and a nice seasonic psu or seasonic made psu and you're good to go.

Live your life like a dream.

What's the reasoning behind the zotac card? I'm just curious.

I've been hearing that they are louder than others and/or don't cool as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've been hearing that they are louder than others and/or don't cool as well.

it's a GTX970 gpu which by itself is much cooler...i wouldnt think this zotac cooler would be of any problems on such a gpu...i'm sure it's fine...of course if you could have a strix or a twinfrozr or even a windforce for like 20 or 30$ it could be well worth it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it's a GTX970 gpu which by itself is much cooler...i wouldnt think this zotac cooler would be of any problems on such a gpu...i'm sure it's fine...of course if you could have a strix or a twinfrozr or even a windforce for like 20 or 30$ it could be well worth it.

or acx 2.0 (the evga gtx 970 acx 2.0 got a firmware update which turns the fans off at idle/when the card is below 60c or so)

or acx 2.0 (the evga gtx 970 acx 2.0 got a firmware update which turns the fans off at idle/when the card is below 60c or so)

yes but they still have that problem where the ACX 2.0 cooler won't make proper contact with the GPU on at least one of the three heatpipe and it's also a loud card...i would much rather have a strix or an MSI card instead..which also have zero rpm fans on idle.

granted this is not one of the two main pipes and the GTX 970 is cool GPU so it should not make that much of a problem either...but...anyways ;)

acvOFnY.jpg

TO the OP, look for this card if available to you it should be pretty cheap and it's better than zotac:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-4GD5T-OC/dp/B00NN0GIA0

The price on amazon here is pretty bad but i know that in some obscure country under the sun this card is amongst the cheapest ones.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yes but they still have that problem where the ACX 2.0 cooler won't make proper contact with the GPU on at least one of the three heatpipe and it's also a loud card...i would much rather have a strix or an MSI card instead..which also have zero rpm fans on idle.

granted this is not one of the two main pipes and the GTX 970 is cool GPU so it should not make that much of a problem either...but...anyways ;)

That heatpipe lowers the temps by 3-4 degrees, its not even a closed heatpipe, meaning even if it made full contact it would not make much difference.

The cooler does just as well as others.

(I'm getting kinda tired of people saying that the acx 2.0 cooler isn't as good as others because of the mis-aligned heatpipe, EVGA designed the card to be like that, had they made it make more contact it would mean the heatpipe opposite to it would make less contact with the GPU, meaning worse performance in cooling.

(I'm getting kinda tired of people saying that the acx 2.0 cooler isn't as good as others because of the mis-aligned heatpipe, EVGA designed the card to be like that, had they made it make more contact it would mean the heatpipe opposite to it would make less contact with the GPU, meaning worse performance in cooling.

it means its a bad design the 3 heatpipes should just have been closer to each other, clearly this was designed for a bigger size GPU and it has been brought back for this card...aint denying the fact that it won't change temps so much hence why they decided to go ahead with it and i don't blame them...