PC not identifying 2nd GTX 550 ti

pewpewmerica

I have recently upgraded my PC by buying a 2nd GTX 550 ti. After installing it, I found out that my PC was not recognizing the second card. I have tried everything, from updating the drivers to swapping the cards on the motherboard.

Any help?

Specs: intel i7 2600

asus P8P67 EVO 

8gb 1333mhz ram

500watt power supply

dual gtx 550 ti

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

i think that a 500W psu is a cutting it a bit fine in terms of a PSU.

Have you checked each card works individually? it could be you got a dead second 550ti

update the BIOS would be my next step

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

i think that a 500W psu is a cutting it a bit fine in terms of a PSU.

Have you checked each card works individually? it could be you got a dead second 550ti

We tried both, they both work

But you might be right about the psu issue :C

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

the gtx 550ti has a tdp of 110 W more or less, so at least it should start even with a 500 psu i guess!

things to check:

SLI bridge connection;

driver activation (I don't know for nvidia drivers, but in the ati's you must activate the crossfire configuration);

psu cables connection

maybe a bios activation too

these may sound stupid but sometimes stupid checks are forgotten

anyway, can you see both the cards in the control panel (section: device manager i guess)?

My Rig:

Case: Cooler Master CM II 690 Advanced USB3; Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v; Processor: i5 3550 3.3 GHz - 3.7GHz, oc @ 3.9-4.1 GHz; Graphic cards: two XFX 7850 black edition oc @ 1 GHz; 

Ram: Corsair Vengance Red 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL8; Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9B; Power supply: Corsair HX750 W 80 Plus Gold; Storage: SSD Vertex 3 120 GB +2 HDD Wester Digital 1 TB

the gtx 550ti has a tdp of 110 W more or less, so at least it should start even with a 500 psu i guess!

things to check:

SLI bridge connection;

driver activation (I don't know for nvidia drivers, but in the ati's you must activate the crossfire configuration);

psu cables connection

anyway, can you see both the cards in the control panel (section: device manager i guess)?

That was one of the first things I checked and it wasn't there D:

I think i went through everything I could, but I'll doublecheck again 

things to check:

SLI bridge connection;

psu cables connection

How can I tell if I've installed the bridge correctly?

well it just must slide in till the end of the connector, there's not a right direction, so you can't put it in a wrong way, is just a passive connection

My Rig:

Case: Cooler Master CM II 690 Advanced USB3; Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v; Processor: i5 3550 3.3 GHz - 3.7GHz, oc @ 3.9-4.1 GHz; Graphic cards: two XFX 7850 black edition oc @ 1 GHz; 

Ram: Corsair Vengance Red 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL8; Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9B; Power supply: Corsair HX750 W 80 Plus Gold; Storage: SSD Vertex 3 120 GB +2 HDD Wester Digital 1 TB

in the NVidia control panel does it recognize both cards without SLI bridge

installed? should show both cards present and which card carries the monitor.

if not, do a clean reinstall GPU driver (both cards installed without bridge) and

monitor connected to first GPU. are you using DVI or HDMI cable?

airdeano

in the NVidia control panel does it recognize both cards without SLI bridge

installed? should show both cards present and which card carries the monitor.

if not, do a clean reinstall GPU driver (both cards installed without bridge) and

monitor connected to first GPU. are you using DVI or HDMI cable?

airdeano

I'm using DVI

things to check:

SLI bridge connection;

psu cables connection

What do you mean by Driver Activation?

Have you looked in the nvidia control panel? If the second card is detected there will be an option that appears that allows you to activate sli. It will be a tab over on the left that says sli settings, under that tab there will be an option to "maximize 3d performance" or enable sli.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|