disk read error when moving storage drive

Admire
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I just solved it...It was a external USB drive that appantly screwed it up. Unpowered the drive, plugged in the SATA disk..booted up and it worked and then connected the external drive again.

Will I have to do this every time?

Check the boot order in BIOS and remove all USB drives from there. Other than that, you can always safely remove the drive and use yours, this shouldn't cause issues (the plugging in and out of an external drive).

Captain_WD.

So I was readying my cousins new computer by installing all the apps he wanted, installed his games etc etc etc.

I connected one of my storage sata drives to his computer..but when returning it to my own gives disk read error. The drive has never had a windows partition on it, and every works perfectly as soon as its disconnected. Im sure all other hardware is working. Shows up in bios correctly.

I generally avoid connecting hard drive while a system is running but I can't get access windows if I plug it in before turning on the pc.

any suggestions

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

So I was readying my cousins new computer by installing all the apps he wanted, installed his games etc etc etc.

I connected one of my storage sata drives to his computer..but when returning it to my own gives disk read error. The drive has never had a windows partition on it, and every works perfectly as soon as its disconnected. Im sure all other hardware is working. Shows up in bios correctly.

I generally avoid connecting hard drive while a system is running but I can't get access windows if I plug it in before turning on the pc.

any suggestions

Hey Admire,

Have you checked if the USB Hard Drive is set as a boot drive and messing with your system? Are you able to run the drive and do a disk check on it? What brand and model is the drive. Each manufacturer has their own check tool which you can download on their website. You can also do a chkdsk /r. How does the drive show up in disk management?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Admire,

Have you checked if the USB Hard Drive is set as a boot drive and messing with your system? Are you able to run the drive and do a disk check on it? What brand and model is the drive. Each manufacturer has their own check tool which you can download on their website. You can also do a chkdsk /r. How does the drive show up in disk management?

Captain_WD.

Hey

Its a brand new WD blue 1TB....or 5 months old at least.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Hey

Its a brand new WD blue 1TB....or 5 months old at least.

In that case I would recommend running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool on the drive to check the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors and see if the problem is within the drive itself or in the settings of the computer. Here's a link to WD DLG: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yatrz1.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

In that case I would recommend running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool on the drive to check the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors and see if the problem is within the drive itself or in the settings of the computer. Here's a link to WD DLG: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yatrz1.

Captain_WD.

I just solved it...It was a external USB drive that appantly screwed it up. Unpowered the drive, plugged in the SATA disk..booted up and it worked and then connected the external drive again.

Check the boot order in BIOS and remove all USB drives from there. Other than that, you can always safely remove the drive and use yours, this shouldn't cause issues (the plugging in and out of an external drive).

Captain_WD.