My New Build

mads243

Hey guys, i have begone the thought process on my new build and i have picked the parts necessary for my build, so far i already own hard drives so i don't need to include that in the build.

These are the parts i have chosen: If anybody has a suggestion for which part i should replace please tell me.

Note: I live in DK, some things are a bit more expensive here, and i want to keep my build at the $1000 mark.

CPU: Core i5-3470

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M

Graphics Card: MSI N660Ti-2GD5/OCV1

Power Supply: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha

Disk Drive: LiteOn IHAS124

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 1 x 8 GB

Case Fans: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP

For RAM, I would go with the 2x4gb kit because you can utilize dual channel memory and is generally a bit cheaper.

Also a 500W PSU would do. I would also recommend a more reliable/reputable brand like Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec if you can afford it.

Just wondering, why did you choose an ATX case for an m-ATX board?

For RAM' date=' I would go with the 2x4gb kit because you can utilize dual channel memory and is generally a bit cheaper.[/color'] Also a 500W PSU would do. I would also recommend a more reliable/reputable brand like Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec if you can afford it. Just wondering, why did you choose an ATX case for an m-ATX board?

1x8 shouldn't see a performance loss, though I'd just go with whichever is cheaper (usually 2x4)

Like dchen says, a 500W PSU is sufficient for that build

In general, mATX boards are much cheaper and generally still offer the same functionality, albeit with fewer PCIe/RAM slots, etc.

660ti aren't really future proof (192bit/s bus which is a problem for 4K), go with a 7950 or if you can afford it a 670 (or you can waut for the next nvidia/AMD generation hat will be able to cope with 4K )

don't get an ASRock Mobo, they suck. Stick to ASUS or MSI.

I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there.

For RAM, I would go with the 2x4gb kit because you can utilize dual channel memory and is generally a bit cheaper.

Also a 500W PSU would do. I would also recommend a more reliable/reputable brand like Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec if you can afford it.

How about an ocz power supply?

Thank you guys for the reply, here is an updated list.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M OR MSI Z77A-G45

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 1 x 8 GB OR Crucial 2 x 4 GB

don't get an ASRock Mobo' date=' they suck. Stick to ASUS or MSI. I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there. [/quote']

Every motherboard manufacturer has some issues with some of its boards. I use an ASRock and it's great.

don't get an ASRock Mobo' date=' they suck[/quote']

I swear if everyone went with these opinions when taking advice on their build they'd end up using a calculator. As Dim said, every company has some sort of issue with a product. I can't actually think of a company in any industry that hasn't had an issue with a bad product.

Anyway, as far as storage goes can you fit an Intel 330 60GB SSD ($60) and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($75) in? That'll give you fast boot times and then plenty of storage.

don't get an ASRock Mobo' date=' they suck[/quote']

I swear if everyone went with these opinions when taking advice on their build they'd end up using a calculator. As Dim said, every company has some sort of issue with a product. I can't actually think of a company in any industry that hasn't had an issue with a bad product.

Anyway, as far as storage goes can you fit an Intel 330 60GB SSD ($60) and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($75) in? That'll give you fast boot times and then plenty of storage.

Already have a storage solution ready, an ssd 120GB for OS and 2 other hdd's for storage.

I usually don't recommend OCZ. XFX has nice budget PSUs, like the Pro Core Edition series.

Thank you guys for the reply, here is an updated list.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M OR MSI Z77A-G45

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 1 x 8 GB OR Crucial 2 x 4 GB

I might change my graphics card due to budget constraints and i will go with the eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2gb, What do you guys think.

I chose the case because of future upgrades and the ventilation.

How important are the PCIe slots, i know what they are for, just not sure about the different types, should i get a motherboard with only 1 PCIe 3.0 slot or 2?

How important are the PCIe slots, i know what they are for, just not sure about the different types, should i get a motherboard with only 1 PCIe 3.0 slot or 2?
Another motherboard i had in mind was the MSI Z77A-G45, ATX board.

I have been looking at two graphics cards which are pretty much the same except for the manufacture. It is a GTX 660

http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn660oc2gd

http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/evga-video-card-02gp42662kr

Which of these 2 cards should i go with, i know the EVGA card has a higher clock speed 1.05GHz, while the Gigabyte has a clock speed of 1.03GHZ. Will the clock speed make much of a difference between these two cards and which one should i go with?

I have been looking at two graphics cards which are pretty much the same except for the manufacture. It is a GTX 660

Which of these 2 cards should i go with, i know the EVGA card has a higher clock speed 1.05GHz, while the Gigabyte has a clock speed of 1.03GHZ. Will the clock speed make much of a difference between these two cards and which one should i go with?

I'd go with the Gigabyte. EVGA will be louder, and while it's cooler will eject air straight out the case, I doubt the difference it makes to the ambient temp in the case will matter.

id go with a 7870 with a Gigabyte, Sapphire, MSI XFX or HIS cooler its about the same price and performs far better

but of those 2 I agree the Gigabyte is better the Windforce is an amazing cooler

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

How many fans should i install into my case, the BitFenix Merc Alpha? 1 fan comes with the case and there are 7 additional areas to install a fan.

500W is not enough if you want upgradeability options