Which mechanical keyboard?

EeveeTechTips

I have had Steelseries 6Gv2 mechanical keyboard for about a year and a half and looking for a new mechanical keyboard and I want to go for a smaller keyboard like 60% or ten keyless.

I came across two keyboards that are kinda in my budget and on sale(black friday and massdrop)

1. KBC Poker II Compact Keyboard for $112 with white LED lighting (cherry mx brown, blue or red)

2. Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 Ten Keyless keyboard for $110 with MX blue or red switches

Which one would be a better experience? How do they fair against each other in terms of build quality?

Or is there any other mechanical keyboard you would recommend in this price range thats small like these ones?(preferrably with LED)

I'd say get the Ducky. It has proper key size and spacing. The Poker II may be far too small for desktop use.

It might (usually) be a pain to type and game on the tiny thing

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Yeah you made a huge mistake by getting that 6Gv2. One of the lower-quality keyboards, from what I've heard.

It all comes down to personal preference. Arguably the Poker II has better build quality since it uses PBT keycaps, but the Shine 3 may be better for you if you play games that require a lot of keybindings.

A nice thing about the Poker is that white backlighting allows you to use switch-mounted LED colour changers, you can use them to replicate an RGB effect which to me is quite cool. As I said before it all comes down to personal preference so it's your choice.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'd say get the Ducky. It has proper key size and spacing. The Poker II may be far too small for desktop use.

It might (usually) be a pain to type and game on the tiny thing

There isn't actually any difference in the spacing of the keys. So typing experience would remain the same. It's just a question if you need the arrow keys and/or F-keys.

@EeveeTechTips

Edit: You can also look into the Ducky Mini at the $120 option. Though, I don't know what the difference in shipping would be like.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&switch_id=ALL&size=Other&man=1&key_plastic=ALL&backlit=ALL&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=28&y=15

Edit#2: Okay, this is a bit of a no-brainer if you want a 60% Ducky. 5% off, plus a free carrier for it.

https://www.facebook.com/MechanicalKeyboards/posts/823774407666103

There isn't actually any difference in the spacing of the keys. So typing experience would remain the same. It's just a question if you need the arrow keys and/or F-keys.

@EeveeTechTips

Edit: You can also look into the Ducky Mini at the $120 option. Though, I don't know what the difference in shipping would be like.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&switch_id=ALL&size=Other&man=1&key_plastic=ALL&backlit=ALL&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=28&y=15

Edit#2: Okay, this is a bit of a no-brainer if you want a 60% Ducky. 5% off, plus a free carrier for it.

https://www.facebook.com/MechanicalKeyboards/posts/823774407666103

thanks! Definitely going to consider this.

Yeah you made a huge mistake by getting that 6Gv2. One of the lower-quality keyboards, from what I've heard.

It all comes down to personal preference. Arguably the Poker II has better build quality since it uses PBT keycaps, but the Shine 3 may be better for you if you play games that require a lot of keybindings.

A nice thing about the Poker is that white backlighting allows you to use switch-mounted LED colour changers, you can use them to replicate an RGB effect which to me is quite cool. As I said before it all comes down to personal preference so it's your choice.

I mean there was nothing wrong with 6gv2 I actually liked it since mainly I used razor keyboard before but now I want a compact keyboard with a solid build quality that will last me a while.

I mean there was nothing wrong with 6gv2 I actually liked it since mainly I used razor keyboard before but now I want a compact keyboard with a solid build quality that will last me a while.

Okay haha

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Okay haha

what do you think about Leopold fc660m compact keyboard on casserole right now.

what do you think about Leopold fc660m compact keyboard on casserole right now.

I like it. Slightly more functionality than your typical 60% keyboard so that's a good thing. 

I like it. Slightly more functionality that your typical 60% keyboard so that's a good thing.

is the company and build quality as good as poker 2? Too bad there's no LED with this one or else I woulda jumped on it right away.

is the company and build quality as good as poker 2? Too bad there's no LED with this one or else I woulda jumped on it right away.

I have never used a Leopold keyboard myself, but I've found that there are positive reviews on them.

To be honest I don't like saying "they are a good company" because I'd need to know for myself whether it's good or not.

I have never used a Leopold keyboard myself, but I've found that there are positive reviews on them.

To be honest I don't like saying "they are a good company" because I'd need to know for myself whether it's good or not.

yeah that's kinda my view too. Thanks for the help!

No Ducky Mini for 60%? :o

If you're only able to get one of those 2 keyboards you mentioned, I guess it comes down to what you primarily do. 

Gaming-wise, Ducky Shine 9087 is definitely better. I've been gaming on a 60% lately and realized it is kind of limiting, though it also depends on what games you play. League of Legends is no prob for me, but when I try playing Starcraft 2 it took me a while to adjust.

If you want save space then get the Poker II. In terms of quality I think both are fine. 60% keyboards just take some time to adjust to when you transition from a full-size keyboard.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition