Really a mechanical keyboard?

mono

I was looking for a mechanical keyboard on amazon.co.uk and i found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-K500-USB-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00A53LCQ8/ref=sr_1_44?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1358886020&sr=1-44

Seems to be cherry MX red, tenkeyless. But what surprised me was the price - 34.87 GBP. So is it really a mechanical keyboard? Worth buying if currently using a membrane keyboard that i like? And are MX Red's good, i had previously looked into MX Brown keyboards, but my budget is very low right now, just got a new pc. Or can anyone suggest a MX Brown keyboard that costs dirt like this one?

apparently it not cherry but I guess its mechanical?

oh not cherry :D Mechanical - then still good even if not cherry?

I'm not even sure what company they are. Zalman maybe? no idea

At least it's quiet. I've got family members that sleep at night, not like me chat and sit in tech forums.

haha yeah you cant be click clacking all night

I've heard it's okay, but obviously don't hold it to too high a standard. The Cherry MX patent ran out, hence the knock-offs can now run riot.

Right now i'm thinking this or a new mouse for around the same price to replace my good old mx518.

considering the switch they pictured is blatantly labeled kailh, and it's cracked, I would avoid it.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Right now i'm thinking this or a new mouse for around the same price to replace my good old mx518.
Just out of curiosity, is your MX518 being replaced out of necessity or desire? It's still a better mouse than most, comparatively.

Mostly for desire. I was looking at Steelseries Sensei RAW and Cyborg R.A.T. 5. It's been used alot - rubber on the sides wears off.

If you fancy a change then ignore this, but the G400 is basically an updated MX518, with a better sensor than the Rat 5 or the Sensei. I figure I'll also mention that the Rat 3 has the best sensor going, while the Rat 5 doesn't. You obviously lose some other features though.

@ Toby, the Rat 3 has a better sensor than the Rat 5 and 7? Out of curiosity where are you getting this information from?

@ Toby' date=' the Rat 3 has a better sensor than the Rat 5 and 7? Out of curiosity where are you getting this information from?[/quote']

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036564635

http://www.overclock.net/t/854100/gaming-sensor-list

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RAT+3+sensor

More Googles will get you more information. The Rat 3 uses the A3090 optical, while the Rat 5, 7 and 9 use the Phillips Twin-eye laser sensor.

If I remeber correctly, I read on /r/MechanicalKeyboards that these are Cherry fakes (made in China) but are quite okay. I'll look for the post and report back later.