Is my CPU ready to be overclocked?

Jennings

I have a H100i installed on an i7 4770K currently at stock 3.5GHz.

I left the PC Idle with no programs open for around 10 minutes at room temperature 28/30C

Are these temperatures alright and I am ready to overclock?

MAX temp playing Minecraft - 37C

Mobo temp - 19C

d92f4d127c6567063ad961334fe6a8d5.png

The temperatures are fine and totally normal. It's definitely safe to overclock if you want to, yeah. You've got ~50-60C headroom.

Yes.  What you should do now is run some baseline tests to get a feel for how your processor performs at stock.  Then if you havent already, do lots of research into overclocking Haswell.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Go for it :D

We, as a species, ceased evolving when we stopped looking up at the stars.

i5-2500K @ 6.4GHz, ASUS P8P67 PRO, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 7-7-7-10, XFX Double D Radeon R9 270X 2GB , NVIDIA Quadros FX 3450 (For two extra displays), (x1) ADATA XPG SX900 128GB, (x1) WD Black 2TB, (x1) 1TB Segate Baracude, (x1) 1TB Toshiba, And Several 2TB External Drives, OCZ Mod XStream 600 Watt PSU, (x5) Some Rare AOC IPS Monitor 1920x1080, Windows 8.1 Pro (x64), Linux Mint 17 (x64)

This is wrong. What matters is his load temperatures, these are his idle temperatures.

Indeed, however if you're idling as low as 28C, you generally only gain 15C (or less) when under load with a decent cooler.

This is wrong. What matters is his load temperatures, these are his idle temperatures.

Load temps are much more important, but you should be fine to overclock. 

Yes.  What you should do now is run some baseline tests to get a feel for how your processor performs at stock.  Then if you havent already, do lots of research into overclocking Haswell.

It's hard to tell at idle, and your temperatures are also relative to your specific room temperature.  You should be good to go though.

How would I go about putting my CPU under load?

How would I go about putting my CPU under load?

A benchmark of sorts, something like Prime95. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

A benchmark of sorts, something like Prime95. 

Use programs like Prime95 or another stress test.  Intel Burn Test, etc.

I read that you're not supposed to run Prime95 on Haswell chips?

Prime95 has had some issues with increasing the voltage on Haswell chips. 

You can use Aida64 instead. 

Prime95 is perfectly fine to use, you just have to be smart and set your voltage to manual/override/static/constant.  Failure to do so will result in overvolting, which does have the potential to harm your processor, even death.

If you want to avoid Prime95, there are other good stress testing applications like AIDA, Intel Burn Test, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and Cinebench.  Some games to test out your OC with are BF4 and Crysis3.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yeh, I was just saying something like Prime95, because I have also heard that it has an unwanted effect on the voltage. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!