Apps, shortcuts, icons, bookmarks all missing Windows 8.1 Help please

Van Der Shah

A few of my apps, shortcuts and icons have gone missing suddenly. You can obviously see the apps are missing as there are some blank spaces. Besides that, all the bookmarks saved in chrome are missing as well. This is really frustrating. Please reply ASAP and help. Thanks.

I like pie

i5 4690k @ 3.5 Ghz  -- Asrock z87 Extreme 4 -- Asus GTX 970 Strix -- 8GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1600Mhz -- Phanteks PH-TC14PE -- Crucial M500 120GB SSD -- Seagate 1TB SSHD -- Super Flower 600W Semi-modular PSU -- Phanteks Enthoo Pro -- Benq GL2460 

Do the icons return after a restart or is it permanent?

What happens when you click one of the blank spaces?

Have you per chance run CCleaner recently?

Do the icons return after a restart or is it permanent?

What happens when you click one of the blank spaces?

Have you per chance run CCleaner recently?

No they don't. They are just like deleted. The shortcuts for downloaded apps like Vegas, Steam, Origin etc. Nothing happens. No I have not run anything. Still dont understand what happen

I like pie

i5 4690k @ 3.5 Ghz  -- Asrock z87 Extreme 4 -- Asus GTX 970 Strix -- 8GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1600Mhz -- Phanteks PH-TC14PE -- Crucial M500 120GB SSD -- Seagate 1TB SSHD -- Super Flower 600W Semi-modular PSU -- Phanteks Enthoo Pro -- Benq GL2460 

if you hit the windows key and type in the name for an app does it appear in the list, and can you still open it?
Cause it seems like your shortcuts have been wiped but the apps themselves should be there.

if you hit the windows key and type in the name for an app does it appear in the list, and can you still open it?

Cause it seems like your shortcuts have been wiped but the apps themselves should be there.

Yup. Apps are there. Just the shortcuts missing. I'm restoring them into place. But what was the problem?

I like pie

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue.

Maybe something you installed or an app you used deleted the shortcuts.
That's why I was asking about CCleaner, if you tick the wrong box somewhere it deletes your shortcuts, bookmarks, temp files and other stuff(it's rather customisable)

I hope the problem doesn't return, otherwise feel free to brainstorm again

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue.

Maybe something you installed or an app you used deleted the shortcuts.

That's why I was asking about CCleaner, if you tick the wrong box somewhere it deletes your shortcuts, bookmarks, temp files and other stuff(it's rather customisable)

I hope the problem doesn't return, otherwise feel free to brainstorm again

It's ok. Thanks man. I restored the apps and the bookmarks from a recording of my desktop i had :P 

Could be. Neither of us are sure. I'm actually scared to restart my PC now haha

I like pie

Glad to hear you could restore them from a back-up.

I finally found something that could be usefull, there is a microsoft program to fix some Modern UI App problems here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

it's from this microsoft help forum with a similar problem(I think). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/missing-tiles-in-windows-8/3ddff615-9504-40fb-a5a1-64e1500be423

Maybe this will solve the problem might it return. Have a nice day!