Hackintosh

Oarsomeness

Hey guys, 
I wanted to build a pc which runs Mac OSX as well as Windows 8 and am planning on doing some overclocking as well. The problem is, installing all the programs for OSX and using Windows compatible overclocking software seems very confusing for me.
I was wondering, if i put my Mac Mini's HDD into my new pc, will it work?
Thanks

It won't work if you just move the hard drive. To Hackintosh, you have to use specific compatible hardware. http://tonymacx86.com should get you started and provide everything you need.

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but in order for a computer to run the Mac OSX it's spec list needs to be compatible with a locked down list of components from apple.....or some components need to be patched like crazy in some way to achieve this, like for instance I know that the Gigabyte's 8 Series of Motherboards are compatible with Hackintosh if running one of the newest intel CPUs....

As for your mac mini HDD the motherboard would pick it up and windows would see it too but if the spec list isn't hackintosh compatible it wouldn't be able to boot off it.

Yeah, I've already taken that into account. I'm going to be using an i5 on a gigabyte motherboard with a GTX 970. Tony Mac says it's compatible. So are you guys saying that if I use compatible parts, it will work theoretically?

Yeah, I've already taken that into account. I'm going to be using an i5 on a gigabyte motherboard with a GTX 970. Tony Mac says it's compatible. So are you guys saying that if I use compatible parts, it will work theoretically?

Please leave a full list of your hardware. I will let you know what will work.

\

Please leave a full list of your hardware. I will let you know what will work.

Intel Pentium G3258

Motherboard is still undecided

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

8GB of 1866Mhz Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM

EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked

Corsair 430 Watt Power Supply

Fractal Design Define R4

2TB Seagate SSHD

I've changed up the parts a bit because I've decided to use the extra money I save for peripherals. 

Intel Pentium G3258

Motherboard is still undecided

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

8GB of 1866Mhz Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM

EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked

Corsair 430 Watt Power Supply

Fractal Design Define R4

2TB Seagate SSHD

I've changed up the parts a bit because I've decided to use the extra money I save for peripherals. 

Okay, a lot will depend on the motherboard. You will also need another GPU to do the install if you choose the GTX 750 Ti since there is no native Maxwell drivers and your CPU doesn't have a supported iGPU.

\

Okay, a lot will depend on the motherboard. You will also need another GPU to do the install if you choose the GTX 750 Ti since there is no native Maxwell drivers and your CPU doesn't have a supported iGPU.

What graphics card would you recommend for under $180?

EVGA GT 740 Superclock? (2GB or 4GB)
I wont be playing triple a titles but i will occasionally game from time to time

EVGA GT 740 Superclock? (2GB or 4GB)

I wont be playing triple a titles but i will occasionally game from time to time

Yes that GPU would be fine but I think GTX 650 TI Boost would work well too.

\

What mother board would you think will be good?
I just need it to be overclocking ready, front usb 3.0 headers, nice looks in an ATX case for $100 or under. So far I'm having trouble figuring out which one would work best with a hackintosh.

To OC the CPU you use the BIOS settings and then stress test it in Windows until stable. 

To OC the GPU you need to use a flashed bios with the OC because there are no OS X equivalents of programs like MSI afterburner.

For motherboard gigabyte is recommended, asus usually works and is s a good runner-up, msi might work but idk if you wanna push your luck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2jnse3/os_x_yosemite_compatibility_w_g3258_and_gtx_750_ti/

The pentium G3258 isn't a good choice for a hackintosh because no Apple computer comes with it. 

The 750 ti is supported in the newest web driver release tho. 

Thanks for the advice but I think we're getting a bit off topic. Ahaha. My original question was if I had Mac compatible parts, would I be able to use the HDD of my Mac mini in my new pc or will that not work?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that GPU would be fine but I think GTX 650 TI Boost would work well too.

I'm thinking of changing to a GTX 750 Ti. Will the 750 Ti from Gigabyte (windforce) be compatible or is it just compatible with the reference?