$2000 Australian Build

Slythercat

Hey Everyone!

I've decided to build my first computer but I don't really know which parts I should get. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me.

The computer will mostly be used for graphics work (maya, zbrush, photoshop, illustrator, after effects), a little audio production, and I'd also like to learn programming.

A few of my friends really want me to get into gaming so I'll probably be doing a bit of that too.

Although the title says $2000, I'm willing to go up to $2500 because I'm also going to be needing a microphone (I was thinking of getting the Yeti but i'll take any other suggestions), a webcam, OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

It'd also be really great if the case wasn't too big so that I was able to carry it around if i needed to.

I probably won't be over clocking anything because I'm a bit scared of damaging something.

Also, I'd love for it to be able to last me at least three years without really having to upgrade anything.

Hey Everyone!

I've decided to build my first computer but I don't really know which parts I should get. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me.

The computer will mostly be used for graphics work (maya, zbrush, photoshop, illustrator, after effects), a little audio production, and I'd also like to learn programming.

A few of my friends really want me to get into gaming so I'll probably be doing a bit of that too.

Although the title says $2000, I'm willing to go up to $2500 because I'm also going to be needing a microphone (I was thinking of getting the Yeti but i'll take any other suggestions), a webcam, OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

It'd also be really great if the case wasn't too big so that I was able to carry it around if i needed to.

I probably won't be over clocking anything because I'm a bit scared of damaging something.

Also, I'd love for it to be able to last me at least three years without really having to upgrade anything.

If you wanted to get a case to carry look at the d frame mini it's quite small but it's a bit pricey.

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

2 grand should get you a pretty kick arse rig depending if you are including the screen in that 2 grand... Are you a AMD or intel fan?  Will u just be running 1080p or looking at 2560x1440 or 4K? Also don't be scared to over clock at all, even if you stuff up these days it just freezes and on boot just change the settings back or most bios will just list overclocking failed on boot anyway as long your cooling is sufficient you will be fine .. Maybe an ITX build would be good for you for transport reasons with a good graphics card, a SSD boot, around 2-4Tb mechanical drive for storage and whatever keyboard and mouse feels best for you... I don't do web cams, too ugly... 

Hey Everyone!

Here the build I chose for you. I didn't include peripherals as they are so personal to want you want but I left $500 of head room.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/YM2dvK

I chose the I win d frame mini as it is super portable

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=364561&action=wish_lists

this build is red themed but you could change some things to make it fit the budget

This actually looks pretty cool but I think I'd need more storage and ram. I'd also prefer a smaller case but this gives me a good idea of what I'll be getting.

2 grand should get you a pretty kick arse rig depending if you are including the screen in that 2 grand... Are you a AMD or intel fan?  Will u just be running 1080p or looking at 2560x1440 or 4K? Also don't be scared to over clock at all, even if you stuff up these days it just freezes and on boot just change the settings back or most bios will just list overclocking failed on boot anyway as long your cooling is sufficient you will be fine .. Maybe an ITX build would be good for you for transport reasons with a good graphics card, a SSD boot, around 2-4Tb mechanical drive for storage and whatever keyboard and mouse feels best for you... I don't do web cams, too ugly... 

Yeah, I was including the screen in that price but I'm willing to go up to $2500 to include everything. The prices for electronics in Australia are quite overpriced in comparison to the US unfortunately.

Honestly, I'd prefer Intel over AMD but that's only because I don't know too much about them.

I was planning on originally just getting a single 1080p monitor but then getting one of two more within the next year.

Would you happen to have any suggestions on a microphone?

Here the build I chose for you. I didn't include peripherals as they are so personal to want you want but I left $500 of head room.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/YM2dvK

I chose the I win d frame mini as it is super portable

I  really like the look of this and the case looks really awesome. I might just add an SSD to it and swap out the hard drive for a larger one.

Is the 980 really worth getting over the 970 though? What would the advantages be?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($399.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($182.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($99.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($162.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($519.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($135.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ CPL Online)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1998.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 20:38 EST+1100

AT2020USB for Microphone better then a yeti.

I really like the look of this and the case looks really awesome. I might just add an SSD to it and swap out the hard drive for a larger one.

Is the 980 really worth getting over the 970 though? What would the advantages be?

I would suggest going to this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/254083-far-cry-4-video-card-showdown/#entry3481086 and look at the benchmark differences and look how boss an powerful the 980 is over the other cards. Now are you convinced to get the 980?

This actually looks pretty cool but I think I'd need more storage and ram. I'd also prefer a smaller case but this gives me a good idea of what I'll be getting.

Yeah, I was including the screen in that price but I'm willing to go up to $2500 to include everything. The prices for electronics in Australia are quite overpriced in comparison to the US unfortunately.

Honestly, I'd prefer Intel over AMD but that's only because I don't know too much about them.

I was planning on originally just getting a single 1080p monitor but then getting one of two more within the next year.

Would you happen to have any suggestions on a microphone?

I  really like the look of this and the case looks really awesome. I might just add an SSD to it and swap out the hard drive for a larger one.

I live in Australia as well mate...Even allowing around $500 for a screen should allow you a good margin for the rest of the machine...Have a look at reviews on Linustech youtube but if you were doing graphics i'd go an IPS screen for viewing angles and colors.. They have higher response times than a TN panel but look better..  One thing definitely get an SSD as a boot drive(you won't look back).. If you are looking at graphics work i'd get 16gb, definitely invest in something like the 970 as it is a good price to performance card especially if you are only going to run 1080p(it will have more than enough power).. If it was me i'd be looking at 2560x1440 but i'm not really sure on prices as i have a ROG swift but my 4K ASUS was around $600(i'd have to check) Look at pccasegear, scorptec, newegg and ncix  if you want to wait for delivery(which might i add my ASUS Rampage Black motherboard i ordered from newegg turn up quicker than parts i ordered from pccasegear).. As for motherboard wise i feel that even the Z87 platform is good as long as motherboard has the options you want i.e WIFI, overclocking options or what not.. As for microphones mate unless you are talking band stuff i really can't help you there...