Java Project Ideas

Cs342

Hey guys,

For my computer science class at school, we each have to plan, design and create a Java program over the course of a few months. The type of program is free to be picked by the student. Some other students' projects include a calendar, a homework diary etc. Since this is my first year learning Java, I need an idea that isn't too hard but not too simple either. Any suggestions?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I would recommend something like an IRC client or a Remote Desktop application. In my first year I made an irc client, I'd highly recommend using JavaFX to create your UI. If neither of these options interest you make a game such as a simple 2d Pokemon remake. You coul also look into something that uses pathfinding algorithms such as A*.

Best of luck :)

Edit: if you choose to make a game you can se my game maker API for simple 2D games: https://github.com/fletchto99/GameMaker

Here is a game skeleton: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4311674

Here is a sample game of pong (unfinished): https://gist.github.com/fletchto99/4311702

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

I would recommend something like an IRC client or a Remote Desktop application. In my first year I made an irc client, I'd highly recommend using JavaFX to create your UI. If neither of these options interest you make a game such as a simple 2d Pokemon remake. You coul also look into something that uses pathfinding algorithms such as A*.

Best of luck :)

Edit: if you choose to make a game you can se my game maker API for simple 2D games: https://github.com/fletchto99/GameMaker

Here is a game skeleton: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4311674

Here is a sample game of pong (unfinished): https://gist.github.com/fletchto99/4311702

I am just a beginner.... I don't think Pokemon would be within my abilities :P 

Then I would recommend making a game using the game maker and just supply your teacher with the library when you submit it. Look at the sample pong I posted, it wouldn't be difficult to make other games such as snake or space invaders.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

I can't just use a game maker though... I have to actually write the code for the whole game

(Also it doesn't have to be a game)

Wow.. I remember when I was still studying Java back in University, our final project was to do a SimTower replica. It was Hard!  :lol:

I suggest some sort of expense tracker? You can input your day's expenses, subdivided into categories (food, transportation, services, miscellaneous), then add a functionality that would show a report (like how much for this week/month I spent on food, etc.)

Wow.. I remember when I was still studying Java back in University, our final project was to do a SimTower replica. It was Hard!  :lol:

I suggest some sort of expense tracker? You can input your day's expenses, subdivided into categories (food, transportation, services, miscellaneous), then add a functionality that would show a report (like how much for this week/month I spent on food, etc.)

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea! Any suggestions on how to implement such a program (I'm still a beginner)?

Are you required to have a graphical interface? Or is it okay to be console based? Is file processing (loading and/or saving) part of the scope?

Either way, I suggest having a menu first to whether add data or view reports.

For add data, ask for the date, the category, the amount, and maybe an optional comments box.

For view reports, you can ask for the date range, and categories.

You could even add an options section to add or remove categories, if you have the time.

Sounds complicated :P Thanks for the help though!

Could implement maybe a basic IRC bot that makes use of sockets etc. so that could be a worth-while project that will get you into Java nicely. Or you could implement some kind of protocol in java - either network based or just message passing in general.

invoice system for a business using mysql

print out invoice

ingoing and outgoing money etc etc

with client profiles with notes and prevoius jobs as well as email, address etc

easy and usefull

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea! Any suggestions on how to implement such a program (I'm still a beginner)?

I can help you out. PM me your Skype. I just started writing one for my computer science project for next year (I'm not enrolled in the class yet :P).

I can help you out. PM me your Skype. I just started writing one for my computer science project for next year (I'm not enrolled in the class yet :P).

I just need some simple tips to get me started that's all :P

I just need some simple tips to get me started that's all :P

Create an Object that stores all data relating to the expense.

Something like this (note this is psuedo code)

public class Expense{        private double price;	private String item;	private Date date;	private Category c;	public Expense(double price, String item, Date date, Category c)	{		this.price = price;		this.item = item;		this.date = date;		this.c = c;	}}

Add methods to return all the information you will need.

Allow the users to use predefined categories or to add their own.

public class Category{	private String name;	public Category(String name)	{		this.name = name;	}}

When they add a new expense, store it an a List.

i would stick with the business system :D easyer 

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Assuming that you have studied Swing Framework, you could create a personal diary app in java. You could do something like this. Create a simple notepad like application. You could create a clone of Windows Notepad itself and while saving the file use some kind of encryption so that no one can read it directly. The encryption need not be complicated. Simple ASCII manupilation can also work. Also, remember to put password protection.

If you haven't studied swing, you could create a command line app. First, ask if you want to create a new note or open an existing one. For a new note, accept a huge string which would be the contents of the note. Then ask for a file name for saving it. Ask if password protection is needed. If true then ask for password to be used.

If an exsiting note has to be opened, then ask for its path. If password authentication is needed then ask for it. If the password is true then print the whole file on the screen.

The best way to start programming is to take an easy app which you use everyday, clone it and modify according to your needs.

Hope you like the idea :)