Foam for packaging computer - help needed

kerberos

Hello LTT community,

Is there anyone who knows where I can buy foam to insert into PC for packaging and shipping?

I tried Canadian Tire, home depot, etc but no luck there.

I am moving to Europe soon and I have to move all my stuff on a cargo ship/contener or use airlines services. I still have the original box of the case but I'm afraid it won't support well. I don't have the others boxes to pack my other hardwares. Actually, I saw the guy from Singularity who shipped watercooled system.

I want to ship the whole system but to secure it too. I asked UPS, Fedex and I was NOT convinced by their services, since this system is watercooled and not empty.

I know it's not recommanded, being a bit lazy.

I could buy some other foam but would it work well ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Carpenter-Memory-Mattress-Topper-Extra-Long/dp/B003LVY4H0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416452371&sr=8-2&keywords=foam

http://www.amazon.ca/Milliard-Childrens-Adjustable-75-Percent-Removable/dp/B00DJ8HWBK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416452940&sr=8-5&keywords=Milliard+Memory+Foam

http://www.amazon.ca/Lucid%C2%AE-LinenSpa-Ventilated-Mattress-Warranty/dp/B007HQ0OMY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QGYGV17QW86NRFJAPMN

I would cut it and make small cube to insert.

What do you think and what would you do ?

Thanks for the help!

NB : the photo here is just an exemple of what the guy did.

post-145120-0-61923700-1416454083_thumb.

post-145120-0-29255400-1416454088_thumb.

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

I'd suggest draining the loop first to help lower the overall weight of the system.

for packaging it I would suggest a soft but yet sturdy open cell foam, just as linus would.

The job you did at trying to protect everything should do fine, it looks like everything is nice and secure.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

here's a photo of my pc.

http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_2129/gallery_145120_2129_409462.jpg

I'd suggest draining the loop first to help lower the overall weight of the system.

for packaging it I would suggest a soft but yet sturdy open cell foam, just as linus would.

The job you did at trying to protect everything should do fine, it looks like everything is nice and secure.

Wait, the photo you saw above (on first post) wasn't mine, that was something I wanted to do but haven't found foam yet...

As you said, I would drain the loop if I have to. (being kind of lazy)

Do I still have to tear everything apart if I secure tubing / GPUs and reservoir  ?

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

Yup its highly suggested that you drain your loop before shipping it. There are too many things that could go wrong when shipping a watercooled PC with the coolant still in. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Yup its highly suggested that you drain your loop before shipping it. There are too many things that could go wrong when shipping a watercooled PC with the coolant still in. 

same question but for another aircooled pc, would you ship it Internationally with everything still inside ? Knowing AirFrance workers are not known for carefully transporting boxes even with "fragile" tagged...

You should drain the loop before shipping. I'v seen some boutique builders use Instapack quick from Uline or similar products. They're quite expensive though

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

You should drain the loop before shipping. I'v seen some boutique builders use Instapack quick from Uline or similar products. They're quite expensive though

Instapack looks great but expensive like you said. I still might go with it.

Instapack looks great but expensive like you said. I still might go with it.

The biggest issue with instapak is, that you just have to find a seller who sells separate units and not whole cartons (which cost 200$ and have 50 units in them) like most of them do. You should find that on eBay

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

same question but for another aircooled pc, would you ship it Internationally with everything still inside ? Knowing AirFrance workers are not known for carefully transporting boxes even with "fragile" tagged...

I would ship the heatsink if its a tower variant separately. everything else would be fine in my book. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^