What can I do with a linux computer?

Go to solution Solved by Kungr,

FreeNAS, PFsense, Kodi (XBMC), steam machine. As a desktop session try gnome-shell it is a slick interface. I agree with Pjtruslow just tinker. Also were does it fit in your home network? Need mediaPC for the extra TV? Need a NAS for data and printer serving? I have my old i3 running as a sweet PFsense router because i'm sick of the consumer grade routers.

I took my old pc running windows vista and installed linux mint on it because vista is terrible. I was wondrering, what kind of cool features does linux bring to the table, what can I use it for? I could use it as a steam machine or nas, but I really don't know too much about linux and would like to know all the improvements it brings over windows. Thanks.

I took my old pc running windows vista and installed linux mint on it because vista is terrible. I was wondrering, what kind of cool features does linux bring to the table, what can I use it for? I could use it as a steam machine or nas, but I really don't know too much about linux and would like to know all the improvements it brings over windows. Thanks.

I ran linux on an old laptop to use it as a media center. So thats the main thing I use it for.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

it brings higher security for the most part, it is lighterweight and runs faster, but you probably knew  that. it adds a software installation handler and a software store. it is able to use many more storage file systems. it is superior for modifying android devices(as they also run the linux kernel) 

the main reason I use linux is for tinkering with software or for making slow computers usable again.

you can have fun experimenting with new and exciting things. use it for programming. use it for watching videos. depending on your distro, try using firefox and get netflix to work. there is some work to be done for it but its possible. try to run a small web server on it and have some fun with it.

FreeNAS, PFsense, Kodi (XBMC), steam machine. As a desktop session try gnome-shell it is a slick interface. I agree with Pjtruslow just tinker. Also were does it fit in your home network? Need mediaPC for the extra TV? Need a NAS for data and printer serving? I have my old i3 running as a sweet PFsense router because i'm sick of the consumer grade routers.

Freenas and pfsense looks interesting to me. As far a pfsense though, I know that I will need something like an intel noc, but do I need to upgrade my processor or ram? Like I said earlier, its a very old pc with an intel core 2 duo @2.5 w/ 3gb of ram, will that be enough? And freeNAS and pfsense are both orperating systems right, so I can only run one or the other right? or can I run both simultaneously on one pc?

Well FreeNAS is a NAS Software obviously. PFsense is a router software. Your processor and ram is good for just a router. As a NAS it is probably good considering the only user on it will be you and maybe a mediacentre. You can run PFsense and FreeNAS on one pc using VirtualBox (free) but that will require a steep learning curve and googling to determine how Vbox works and how all your routing and interfaces will work.

But if you want a two in one combo, i haven't looked, but I know some NAS OSes have XBMC plugins. Or you install ubuntu server with a GUI (gnome, haha) and use it as a NAS and XBMC machine . Anyways, tinker and find a good fit. Google and linux forums are your friend.