Need help

pblake74

So I got a new mobo, CPU and memory I set it all up and my DVD drive started smoking.. So I tried plugging in my other one and it wouldn't work so I turned it off and it was really hit at the bottom.. Suggestions??

So I got a new mobo, CPU and memory I set it all up and my DVD drive started smoking.. So I tried plugging in my other one and it wouldn't work so I turned it off and it was really hit at the bottom.. Suggestions??

Can u explain what u mean by it was really hit at the bottom

And did the other one catch fire or just smoke?

im assuming you said hot...and check to see if you pluged in the power connector wrong or in the wrong spot in your modular psu if you got one...or if you got a molex to sata adapter...if you plugged in the molex cable wrong....that might short out the drive...

i meant hot sorry.. it just smoked up..im pretty sure everything is plugged in right cause all i did was take out my old mother board and put my new one in

specs

i5 4670k

gigabyte z87x-ud4h

corsair h110

16gb crucial ram 1866

2x 256 m4 crucial ssd in raid 0

2x evga 660ti sc 2gb

3 tb hdd

1tb hdd

corsair tx850m psu

nzxt hue

All i can think of is check the wires and try different wires to be sure

All i can think of is check the wires and try different wires to be sure

can it be the new mobo i put it? or 850 power supply aint enough?

Well.. for 2 x  660Ti's  it is a little low..when the min for 1 is 450 watt's...Did the magic smoke escape from your DVD..while it was plugged into a SATA port..?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Well.. for 2 x  660Ti's  it is a little low..when the min for 1 is 450 watt's...Did the magic smoke escape from your DVD..while it was plugged into a SATA port..?

planning on getting 2x 780 so i guess ill get a 1200 or so..yea it was plugged in the SATA port..

Can you remove one of the 660 ti's and see how the system boots...btw..do not plug in your DVD..just your boot drive..

Can you remove one of the 660 ti's and see how the system boots...btw..do not plug in your DVD..just your boot drive..

the computer boots up fine its just when i have the dvd plugged in all it does is blinks green.. the tray wont open and the bottom of it gets really hot

So..why do you need it plugged in..?

So..why do you need it plugged in..?

got a new mobo and cpu and wanted to format and install windows..previous setup my dvd drive was working dont know why it messed up now

Is there a disc in that DVD now..? 

Is there a disc in that DVD now..?

Nah it's a brand new DVD drive

How do you have it set up..is it SATA with SATA PWR connectors..or do you have it powered by a 4 pin Molex..? It sounds like it maybe either a bad DVD ..or that you have a bad power cable going into it..

How do you have it set up..is it SATA with SATA PWR connectors..or do you have it powered by a 4 pin Molex..? It sounds like it maybe either a bad DVD ..or that you have a bad power cable going into it..

yh i agree it sound like a bad DVD drive, if you got a spare computer to create a USB windows OS to use to install windows for now.

i had  it setup with molex to sata power then i used a sata pwr connector both gave me the same thing..i dont think its a bad DVD cause i bought two and they both did the same thing...

yh i agree it sound like a bad DVD drive, if you got a spare computer to create a USB windows OS to use to install windows for now.

dont have a spare computer on me but ill figure out something maybe borrow a external dvd drive or somehing