Upgrading the CPU RAM & MOBO

Chucklesaurus

Hi im looking to upgrade my cpu, ram and motherboard. I want to keep it under 500 dollars. I will be wanting to overclock.

I currently have a p5n-d motherboard, a q9400 cpu, and a gtx 560 gtx

What are you doing with the system? Gaming? Video editing? 3D work?

If it's gaming, a 3570K with 8GB of 1600mhz C9 such as Corsair Vengeance on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or Asus P8Z77M-Pro would suit fine. You don't really need more than 8GB of ram for gaming and that lot should be well inside your price range, totalling somewhere around $400. Otherwise you could also look at an AMD 8350 with the appropriate board.

If it's gaming, a 3570K with 8GB of 1600mhz C9 such as Corsair Vengeance on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or Asus P8Z77M-Pro would suit fine. You don't really need more than 8GB of ram for gaming and that lot should be well inside your price range, totalling somewhere around $400. Otherwise you could also look at an AMD 8350 with the appropriate board.

Yeah it will be for gaming, and thats pretty much the same system i was looking at, and which would be better the 8350 or the 3570k

Im also going to need a cpu cooler any recommendation?

Depends on how much you want to pay, and what your case supports.

NHD-14, Havik 140, Kraken x60, Kraken x40, H100, Silver Arrow SB-E. All good cooler, if you don't want to spend that much Cooler Master makes a plethora of damn good price to performance coolers, such as the Hyper 212+ or any other Hyper series cooler.

Depends on how much you want to pay, and what your case supports.

NHD-14, Havik 140, Kraken x60, Kraken x40, H100, Silver Arrow SB-E. All good cooler, if you don't want to spend that much Cooler Master makes a plethora of damn good price to performance coolers, such as the Hyper 212+ or any other Hyper series cooler.

Thanks for the quick replies, I would love the H100 but i have an old alienware area 51 case that i would really love to keep, i know its not the best for airflow and its a lil out dated. but i have been looking at the modding it so i can but i big radiator cpu cooler in it. Also for the link. never seen that website before i will make sure to go there much more in the future.

My 3570k runs everything at max I've thrown at it at max.

I don't know what the prices are like in the US, but $500 is about £350, I'd get 3570k with an Msi z77 MPower, and 8gb of Corsair Vengeance (16gb if you want to future proof it) and a cooler master hyper 212 evo

I don't know what the prices are like in the US' date=' but $500 is about £350, I'd get 3570k with an Msi z77 MPower, and 8gb of Corsair Vengeance (16gb if you want to future proof it) and a cooler master hyper 212 evo[/quote']

@OP could also swap out the board for an Asus P8Z77 board but this guy hit the nail on the head

Any particular color you prefer for the mobo/ram/cooler?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I don't know what the prices are like in the US' date=' but $500 is about £350, I'd get 3570k with an Msi z77 MPower, and 8gb of Corsair Vengeance (16gb if you want to future proof it) and a cooler master hyper 212 evo[/quote']

@OP could also swap out the board for an Asus P8Z77 board but this guy hit the nail on the head

I only recommended the Z77 MPower because it's the only board I have personally used in my PC, which I built about 2 weeks ago.

Any particular color you prefer for the mobo/ram/cooler?

I have no color preference i just want to have the best performance for the buck.