TV panel questions

Sack

So I've been looking around for TVs just to check them out for when my parents needs a new one, and I've noticed that some advertise with IPS-panels. Does this mean that they don't use IPS-panels for most TVs? What is the normal panel that most TVs use then? Or are they just advertising it because they can?

Adding cool words like IPS to ads make that TV look more appealing to uninformed customers. And make sure you don't buy any TV that has a 240Hz or 120Hz refresh rate, I'm sure nothing your parents watch is over 60Hz. And yes most TVs do not use IPS panels.

Adding cool words like IPS to ads make that TV look more appealing to uninformed customers. And make sure you don't buy any TV that has a 240Hz or 120Hz refresh rate, I'm sure nothing your parents watch is over 60Hz. And yes most TVs do not use IPS panels.

So is IPS an upgrade compared to most other TV-panels or is it almost the same when it comes to colours and viewing angles.

So is IPS an upgrade compared to most other TV-panels or is it almost the same when it comes to colours and viewing angles.

The question is IPS vs TN, and LED vs LCD.

LED vs LCD, LED screens are much thinner and they also run cooler.

IPS vs TN, IPS screens have much better color accuracy and they have much better viewing angles, so you can look down at them, or across at them, and the colors still display properly.

You can get any combination of those, so the best would be LED IPS.

LED is just the backlight tech. They are all still LCD's.

The question is IPS vs TN, and LED vs LCD.

IPS vs TN, IPS screens have much better color accuracy and they have much better viewing angles, so you can look down at them, or across at them, and the colors still display properly.

You can get any combination of those, so the best would be LED IPS.

I know the difference between panels, but what are the standard for TVs? is it the same as computer monitors?

I know the difference between panels, but what are the standard for TVs? is it the same as computer monitors?

No decent TV is TN. It doesn't have the viewing angles for it.

LG TV's would be IPS, Samsung PLS. Or atleast very similar panel technologies.

They are usually TN LCD. At least from what I've seen in person.

No decent TV is TN. It doesn't have the viewing angles for it.

Ok, so advertising that it's IPS-panel is just... meh. It's all more or less the same as long as it's a descent TV?

Most ones do use IPS, VA, etc.

#No decent TV is TN. It doesn't have the viewing angles for it.

Well it depends on the series. For lg their lb6300 series uses only IPS panels. However their lb5600, 5800, and 5900 are not IPS, according to the chart Amazon. The handy dandy chart does not say what panel type it is, just that it is not IPS. However I have been looking around and have found some websites claiming that the lg 47lb5900 does in fact have an IPS panel, but these are random websites that I have never heard of so who knows. LG's own website for the 5900 series has no mention of a panel type. 

Point being don't assume that just because it's a "good brand" of tv that It uses an IPS panel. Do some research and confirm one way or the other. Also not trying to attack eshbop or anything, just wanted to spread this bit of information.

don't assume that just because it's a "good brand" of tv that It uses an IPS panel

Wasn't because they are 'good brands' but because LG is the manufacturer of most IPS panels and Samsung makes all PLS panels. Figured they'd be inclined to use their own products, turns out PLS isn't used for TV's.

Most TV panels seem to be either IPS or VA variants.