Raid 0 when is it overkill ?

sebastien calvignac

Hi, I would like to know at what point is it considered overkill when i start RAIDing up SSD's. My initial plan was to go RAID 0 with two 256GB SSD's for my first build but then i wondered what if i go RIAD 0 with four 128SSD's instead ...But there has to be some downside or some kind of bottleneck somewhere els, right ?

Im still learning about this building stuff and i want to make the right decision.

Thanks for any help !

It's overkill when the drive controller is the bottleneck

I can use the motherboard for that right ? cose i hadn't really planned on getting one of those for my build.

IDK what's your mb

RAID 0 with 2 SSDs is more than enough for "normal" people

Then i guess ill stick with two SSD's. Thank you !

with the third ssd youll reach the point where your sata controller is starting to bottleneck (mid range ssds) as far as i know

DEcobra11 said it :D

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

with the third ssd youll reach the point where your sata controller is starting to bottleneck (mid range ssds) as far as i know

Exactly this. Every benchmark I have seen on recent motherboards has basically shown the same thing. The onboard Intel SATA controller maxes out at about 1800MBps no matter how many drives you are using, that just seems to be all it can handle. With 3 drives, you are pretty much at that level, technically there would probably be a little left for a 4th drive, but you are talking about maybe using 10-20% of that 4th drives capabilities.

With third party PCI-E RAID controllers, you very well may be able to push faster, it depends on the controller you pick up, but at that point you would be throwing a bunch of money at something that really isn't a problem.

DEcobra11 said it :D

Exactly this. Every benchmark I have seen on recent motherboards has basically shown the same thing. The onboard Intel SATA controller maxes out at about 1800MBps no matter how many drives you are using, that just seems to be all it can handle. With 3 drives, you are pretty much at that level, technically there would probably be a little left for a 4th drive, but you are talking about maybe using 10-20% of that 4th drives capabilities.

With third party PCI-E RAID controllers, you very well may be able to push faster, it depends on the controller you pick up, but at that point you would be throwing a bunch of money at something that really isn't a problem.

Thank you very much ! Ill go with two SSD's. If by any chance you know of a good Raid 0 Guide please let me know :D

Considering that Disk/SSD/Media I/O is the slowest part of any system (that I know of) RAID 0 is never overkill. I am also considering this is the audience here on LTT of members wanting the fastest system as they're overclocking and water-cooling up the yin yang for the best performance as well so why would you go total lame on Disk/SSD/Media I/O?

If you think going non-RAID is best because of scare tactics and you don't want the tip top performance you can get out of your system then don't use it. They invented RAID 0 for a reason and scaring people is not one of the reasons, and if you only use one disk guess what happens when that dies? Same as in a RAID 0 system and no amount of stats will change that.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Considering that Disk/SSD/Media I/O is the slowest part of any system (that I know of) RAID 0 is never overkill. I am also considering this is the audience here on LTT of members wanting the fastest system as they're overclocking and water-cooling up the yin yang for the best performance as well so why would you go total lame on Disk/SSD/Media I/O?

If you think going non-RAID is best because of scare tactics and you don't want the tip top performance you can get out of your system then don't use it. They invented RAID 0 for a reason and scaring people is not one of the reasons, and if you only use one disk guess what happens when that dies? Same as in a RAID 0 system and no amount of stats will change that.

Didnt read his question did you?  ;)

Sadly even the highest grade RAID controllers have got a limited bandwitch and he wanted to know at which point its nonsense to throw more ssds on a raid0

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Didnt read his question did you?  ;)

Sadly even the highest grade RAID controllers have got a limited bandwitch and he wanted to know at which point its nonsense to throw more ssds on a raid0

Thank you, and i just found this video from linus :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuywNBctvg

at 1:30 he explains the effect of adding more and more SSD's on a raid 0 config.

Ill simply go with two SSD's for the fun of it and that little extra performance :D