Corsair Air 540 sideways mounted 5.25" bay res?

Go to solution Solved by Ghost,

Okay, sorry for that little typo, didn't mean flow indicator to be the same as the method to trap air bubbles in the res, but as 2 different things. (ie if the flow meter and the method to trap air would still be working.)

Next to that, I don't understand why a res in the second compartment would be a problem? you just put 2 tubes through the cable management holes? On one of the preview/interview videos on teh youtubez, one of the corsair spokesmen already spoke about putting a pump in that compartment to hide it. Or do you mean that the res has to be in the highest point of the loop?

And to gts250: that specific res was the version without an included pump. There is a second variant with an EK-branded DDC pump for 30 euros more (don't know how much difference in dollars exactly), the EK-DCP 2.2

You can put a res there. You will have issues with a "bay" res because it would be on its side. There is no method as such to trap air. The air is supposed to stay in the reservoir.

If you can figure out logically how you would mount it then you might just be able to do it but you would have to figure out how to fill it by yourself and figure out how to make sure the waterline is always above the pump inlet as well.

You can do it but there is no way to know without first seeing the case in person. Stuff like which way around the bays are orientated could make a big difference.

Hey guys!

I saw the Corsair Air 540 a couple days ago, and I actually like the case and want to see how possible a Watercooling in there would be.

One specific thing I'm wondering about: a 2x5.25" bay reservoir.

With the drive bay flipped 90 degrees, would the reservoir still work as expected? including a possible flow meter or the method that keeps the air bubbles in the res and out of the loop, stuff like that.

I'm really wondering and thought that if anyone would know it, you guys would :)

Next to this: any personal opinion on 5.25" reservoirs with a pump directly attached to it / directly built into it? (the EK-Bay DCP 2.2 as an example)

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

[EDIT:] Extra info about the case can be found HERE if you haven't seen anything about it yet :)

once the outlet of the res is at the bottom... (in that case...once the pump is at the bottom...) and wow!! that combo is very cheap considering there is a pump included...i mean a single d5 pump costs 100$ plus 30$ for a tube res!!!...heh

itll work but i just dont like non tube res because they are glued together...idk if this one is diff ... :)

EDIT : they said pump is not included heh

so id go with a d5 and a cheaper tube res heh :S but thats just me

The case isn't meant for bay res' because the bays are in a different compartment of the case.

You would you have to fill the reservoir with the case on its side. and you still may have all sorts of problems later down the line.

A flow meter doesn't reduces air bubbles. :/

Also; you should get a Laing pump. Other pumps are not as reliable.

i mean a single d5 pump costs 100$ plus 30$ for a tube res!!!

That's because the Laing D5 is a much better pump.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The case isn't meant for bay res' because the bays are in a different compartment of the case.

You would you have to fill the reservoir with the case on its side. and you still may have all sorts of problems later down the line.

A flow meter doesn't reduces air bubbles. :/

Also; you should get a Laing pump. Other pumps are not as reliable.

That's because the Laing D5 is a much better pump.

Okay, sorry for that little typo, didn't mean flow indicator to be the same as the method to trap air bubbles in the res, but as 2 different things. (ie if the flow meter and the method to trap air would still be working.)

Next to that, I don't understand why a res in the second compartment would be a problem? you just put 2 tubes through the cable management holes? On one of the preview/interview videos on teh youtubez, one of the corsair spokesmen already spoke about putting a pump in that compartment to hide it. Or do you mean that the res has to be in the highest point of the loop?

And to gts250: that specific res was the version without an included pump. There is a second variant with an EK-branded DDC pump for 30 euros more (don't know how much difference in dollars exactly), the EK-DCP 2.2

You can put a res there. You will have issues with a "bay" res because it would be on its side. There is no method as such to trap air. The air is supposed to stay in the reservoir.

If you can figure out logically how you would mount it then you might just be able to do it but you would have to figure out how to fill it by yourself and figure out how to make sure the waterline is always above the pump inlet as well.

You can do it but there is no way to know without first seeing the case in person. Stuff like which way around the bays are orientated could make a big difference.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Aah, okay, now I understand a bit more. Thank you for your quick replies Ghost!

• 1 month later...

Aah, okay, now I understand a bit more. Thank you for your quick replies G

I was wondering the same thing today and had a look after reading the posts and found some pictures in a review that may help you out.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/07/corsair_carbide_series_air_540_computer_case_review/4#.Ud-MjUGsiVY

The manual for the reservoir shows that the intake would be ontop and the out would be on the bottom.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109840597.pdf