G3258 + 290

Deletive
Go to solution Solved by Krzyimprt,

Okay so I was wondering, since the G3258 Overclocked pulls less wattage then a i7, and I won't be overclocking the 290 if I get it. 

Would it be possible to run a 290 + G3258 at 4.2/4.5ghz on a Cx500.

Or would I need to to upgrade my power supply or even get a 280x for 20 dollars less then the 290? 

It should be ok, R9 290 requires a minimum of 31A on the 12v rail.

Okay so I was wondering, since the G3258 Overclocked pulls less wattage then a i7, and I won't be overclocking the 290 if I get it. 

Or would I need to to upgrade my power supply or even get a 280x for 20 dollars less then the 290? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

That would be fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

-snip-

It'll be fine, but check the amperage like what ^he said.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

That would be fine.

It'll be fine, but check the amperage like what ^he said.

Thanks guys... just wanted to be sure before putting money into the GPU. :D

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Thanks guys... just wanted to be sure before putting money into the GPU. :D

Awesome :) The R9 290 is a great choice right now, since it's so cheap. Bear in mind that if you want the free games, you'll have to buy it from participating retailers! (check the AMD site)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

-snip-

if you're worried about power consumption and heat output, you could reduce both by underclocking your card (not sure if it's possible). The R9 290 should give you more than enough performance, and you can always turn it up and OC when you want more performance.

if you're worried about power consumption and heat output, you could reduce both by underclocking your card (not sure if it's possible). The R9 290 should give you more than enough performance, and you can always turn it up and OC when you want more performance.

Computing enthusiast.