H440 AIO Radiator placement

NoNa
Go to solution Solved by Wesleydn,

So I've recently come by some cheap Kraken X60($80 ish) and figure it's time to reduce the noise. I'm using a h440, and would want to put one in the top to not lose out on the 3.5" bays more than necessary, however, I was hoping to also get a g10 to sort the 290x out. Ideally one or the other would be sorted through the 140mm fan in the back(I'm still not entirely convinced wether the CPU or the GPU would be best served by the larger AIO), but I'm very much so uncertain if it would fit. The other option is of course to put one in the front and one in the top, which would also allow upsizing the second radiator to for example a second x60, but at the cost of drive bays. The other cooler I've been looking at(Also due to a heavily rebated price) is the Antec Kühler 620($40 ish), both which should be compatible with the Kraken G10 bracket. 

So I guess my questions are multiple,

Would I be able to fit a 120 or 140mm radiator and fan in the back, while also having one in the top?

Would it be possible to mount the x60 in the top, but aligned towards the front of the case and thus free up space for a backmounted AIO?

Currently the 290x is proving to be a far greater cooling issue than the FX-8350, both in terms of noise and heating up ambient temperature in the case, would it even so make sense to put a stronger AIO on the CPU than the GPU or is that just a rule of thumb, given that the TDP of the 290x is more than double that of the CPU.

How many of the 3.5" trays would you actually have to remove to fit an x60 in the front?

Would I be better off going with a X60 for the gpu and a decent  air cooler to sort the CPU?

I went AIo liquid and best decision i have made

I have a 140mm rad at the back pulling air out

280mm rad at the front pulling air in (i had to take out all my drive bays so mounted my storage drive at the bottom)

I also couldnt put the 280 at teh top because it would hit the back 140 since a 280 at the top can only be mounted at the back where the front can be mounted at the top bottom or middle

and 3x120 fans at the top pulling air in

MSI GTX 970 Gaming

I5 with V6 GT

Before Change:

GPU Idle- 50

GPU Full Load- 79

CPU Idle- 45

CPU Full Load- 65

After change

GPU Idle- 27

GPU full Load- 52

CPU Idle- 28

CPU full Load- 42

see this topic for pics

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117203-unofficial-ltt-nzxt-h440-owners-club/?p=3371036

SO i suggest a 120/140 AIO for the GPU

And at least a 240 for the CPU

If you go with a 240 for teh CPU you can mount it towards the front of the case at the top which will alllow a 120/140 in push/pull config to fit

So I've recently come by some cheap Kraken X60($80 ish) and figure it's time to reduce the noise. I'm using a h440, and would want to put one in the top to not lose out on the 3.5" bays more than necessary, however, I was hoping to also get a g10 to sort the 290x out. Ideally one or the other would be sorted through the 140mm fan in the back(I'm still not entirely convinced wether the CPU or the GPU would be best served by the larger AIO), but I'm very much so uncertain if it would fit. The other option is of course to put one in the front and one in the top, which would also allow upsizing the second radiator to for example a second x60, but at the cost of drive bays. The other cooler I've been looking at(Also due to a heavily rebated price) is the Antec Kühler 620($40 ish), both which should be compatible with the Kraken G10 bracket. 

Would I be able to fit a 120 or 140mm radiator and fan in the back, while also having one in the top?

Would it be possible to mount the x60 in the top, but aligned towards the front of the case and thus free up space for a backmounted AIO?

Currently the 290x is proving to be a far greater cooling issue than the FX-8350, both in terms of noise and heating up ambient temperature in the case, would it even so make sense to put a stronger AIO on the CPU than the GPU or is that just a rule of thumb, given that the TDP of the 290x is more than double that of the CPU.

How many of the 3.5" trays would you actually have to remove to fit an x60 in the front?

Would I be better off going with a X60 for the gpu and a decent  air cooler to sort the CPU?

@NoNa

Use the X60 for your CPU.  Install it on the top of your case.

Use a 120/140mm AIO for the GPU.  The performance gains after 120mm on GPU with G10 are minimal.  Get the least expensive 120mm AIO, usually the H55 and mount it as the rear exhaust.

120/140mm AIOs for CPUs are a job half done, and don't perform as well as their less expensive Air cooling counterparts.  If you are going water for your CPU, 240mm is the minimum.

The G10/GPU benefits the most by just going under water.  Anything more than 120mm AIO on the GPU and you experience diminishing returns.  Going from an H55 to an X61 on a GPU you only drop 6-7C.  Just not worth it, especially when an H55 is already bringing an R9 290 down to ~55C.

Sidenote:  Your FX processor is bottlenecking your R9 290X.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Does that confirm that it would fit aswell? Because that is kind of my main concern. 

Notes taken on the priority of cooling though, I'll take your word for it even if it doesnt make sense to me with the TDPs and whatnot. Thing is, the cost difference between an x60($80) and a h55($55) is relatively small, so while there are diminishing returns, if they dont fit in the back the x60 has longer tubing and I assume would allow for lower rpm/quieter fans while maintaining the same temperatures? 

@NoNa

Use the X60 for your CPU.  Install it on the top of your case.

Use a 120/140mm AIO for the GPU.  The performance gains after 120mm on GPU with G10 are minimal.  Get the least expensive 120mm AIO, usually the H55 and mount it as the rear exhaust.

120/140mm AIOs for CPUs are a job half done, and don't perform as well as their less expensive Air cooling counterparts.  If you are going water for your CPU, 240mm is the minimum.

The G10/GPU benefits the most by just going under water.  Anything more than 120mm AIO on the GPU and you experience diminishing returns.  Going from an H55 to an X61 on a GPU you only drop 6-7C.  Just not worth it, especially when an H55 is already bringing an R9 290 down to ~55C.

Sidenote:  Your FX processor is bottlenecking your R9 290X.

I went AIo liquid and best decision i have made

I have a 140mm rad at the back pulling air out

280mm rad at the front pulling air in (i had to take out all my drive bays so mounted my storage drive at the bottom)

I also couldnt put the 280 at teh top because it would hit the back 140 since a 280 at the top can only be mounted at the back where the front can be mounted at the top bottom or middle

and 3x120 fans at the top pulling air in

MSI GTX 970 Gaming

I5 with V6 GT

Before Change:

GPU Idle- 50

GPU Full Load- 79

CPU Idle- 45

CPU Full Load- 65

After change

GPU Idle- 27

GPU full Load- 52

CPU Idle- 28

CPU full Load- 42

see this topic for pics

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117203-unofficial-ltt-nzxt-h440-owners-club/?p=3371036

SO i suggest a 120/140 AIO for the GPU

And at least a 240 for the CPU

If you go with a 240 for teh CPU you can mount it towards the front of the case at the top which will alllow a 120/140 in push/pull config to fit

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

@NoNa

It should fit, the case has room for it. Get the x60 and place it in the top. Get whatever you want for GPU as long as it's 120/140mm and place it as rear exhaust. Trying to fit 2, 280mm AIOs in a H440 is going to be tough, and it won't look visually appealing.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Amazing, all questions answered and stuff ordered, Thanks the both of you!