Downsizing, what case will meet my needs?

JDregius

Hello again 
So i am downsizing my build i currently have a xigmatek elysium case ( yes that ancient and colossal beast) but after today having to move it to a friends house for a rebuild and overclocking session i now cant stand how big and heavy the git is.
So what i would need from a case is enough room for a full ATX board with 2 way SLi and a full watercooling loop preferably with a top or front mount for a thick 360mm (3x120) mm radiator i like the nice straight lined look of the elysium but i cant seem to find much that is smaller without sacrificing the radiator mounts or going super expensive id be looking at up to about £150 though less is preferable as i still have a lot to buy over the next few months.
If anyone has some good ideas would be really appreciated 
the only case i have found that suits my liking is the corsair 760T but its a bit over budget and i am wondering about alternatives 

many thanks 
JD 

CPU: AMD Fx-8370 @ 4.8 Ghz MoBo: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Msi Gtx 770 'gaming' RAM 16GB kingston hyperX fury  PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: Corsair H55 Case: Corsair 760T
I want the most powerful PC in the world.... and ill still just play Dota on it 

Have you taken a look at the Arc Midi R2?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

just had a look at it cant seem to see a confirmation of fitting in a 360mm radiator and that is kinda a must for me, 
other than that its very good looking the other thing ill note is i have a 4x120gb raid set up so ability to fit/hide that would be great. 
looked at the define r4? (i think) in a shop today but its just looked a bit odd and the finish didnt look good to me  :wacko:

can any midi towers comfortably fit in a 360 mm radiator ? or am i being optimistic 

CPU: AMD Fx-8370 @ 4.8 Ghz MoBo: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Msi Gtx 770 'gaming' RAM 16GB kingston hyperX fury  PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: Corsair H55 Case: Corsair 760T

just had a look at it cant seem to see a confirmation of fitting in a 360mm radiator and that is kinda a must for me, 

You can easily fit a 360mm rad with fans--90mm thick or maybe more at the top after removing the 5.25" bays. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You can easily fit a 360mm rad with fans--90mm thick or maybe more at the top after removing the 5.25" bays. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Ahhh thanks didn't know that ill try to bear it in mind

I need to keep the 5.25" bays really i still use a dvd drive regularly ( I know I'm a caveman) an would want a bay or 2 for a decent fan controller should have mentioned this why is there so much to consider just for the shiny box the even shinier stuff goes in! 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-173-CS&groupid=2362&catid=1489

Just spotted this too, looks are in line with what i like and the corsair cases generally receive decent reviews from what i have seen. 

its also very nicely under budget which means less wait before new graphics cards :D

other than that its very good looking the other thing ill note is i have a 4x120gb raid set up so ability to fit/hide that would be great. 

looked at the define r4? (i think) in a shop today but its just looked a bit odd and the finish didnt look good to me  :wacko:

can any midi towers comfortably fit in a 360 mm radiator ? or am i being optimistic 

It cant fit a 360mm rad in the top its the Mini R2 that can.

What about the H440?

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

Ahhh thanks didn't know that ill try to bear it in mind

I need to keep the 5.25" bays really i still use a dvd drive regularly ( I know I'm a caveman) an would want a bay or 2 for a decent fan controller should have mentioned this why is there so much to consider just for the shiny box the even shinier stuff goes in! 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-173-CS&groupid=2362&catid=1489

Just spotted this too, looks are in line with what i like and the corsair cases generally receive decent reviews from what i have seen. 

its also very nicely under budget which means less wait before new graphics cards :D

The Arc Midi R2 has a built in fan controller. 

The max thickness for the top of the 450D is 45mm with fans on one side. how thick are your rads?

No, the Arc Midi R2 easily fits 360mm rads: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/98498-water-cooling-my-arc-midi-r2/

What about the H440?

looked at those  but the no 5.25" bays means its struck off the list for me I'm unfortunately fussy after having 3 cases in the last year and never sticking with any for too long 

The Arc Midi R2 has a built in fan controller. 

The max thickness for the top of the 450D is 45mm with fans on one side. how thick are your rads?

No, the Arc Midi R2 easily fits 360mm rads: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/98498-water-cooling-my-arc-midi-r2/

the rads a roughly 45mm 360 from EK i think for me having to choose between 5.25" bays for disk drive and a high end fan controller or a 360 rad probably rules it out 
It is a pretty little case and Fractal make such good stuff but i think for what i want its not quite the right case 

I'm pretty sure he modded it and not just the 5'25" bay hence the 360mm fan mounts he has on top of his case in one of the photos.

Even fractals website says only 240mm in the top they added support in the mini r2 for 360mm rad after they made the midi r2.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

I'm pretty sure he modded it and not just the 5'25" bay hence the 360mm fan mounts he has on top of his case in one of the photos.

Even fractals website says only 240mm in the top they added support in the mini r2 for 360mm rad after they made the midi r2.

Not really.. you just need to remove the 5.25" bays.

Case websites aren't the most accurate. One example would be the 350D where a 280mm rad fits in the top just fine but it wasn't listed as compatible. It's been fixed but only recently. 

Not really.. you just need to remove the 5.25" bays.

Case websites aren't the most accurate. One example would be the 350D where a 280mm rad fits in the top just fine but it wasn't listed as compatible. It's been fixed but only recently. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/98498-water-cooling-my-arc-midi-r2/

In one of the pictures it shows that he has drilled holes in the top to let the 360mm fit and quote : "If anyone tried fitting a 360 in the midi r2, they know it't quite a task, since the other holes are counter-sunk and the ones I drilled weren't, I had to sink them myself with a screw and a block of wood:)"

I believe they moved the fan mounts on the mini r2 so you didnt have to mod it, even though I wouldnt say the mod is that difficult