First Ever DIY Build

Aly
Go to solution Solved by Aly,

@Ali ,

Glad to hear that you've decided for the WD Black. I really think that you'll like it for gaming.  

I've seen different discussions on the 750ti, 770 and 780 comparison. You might find this one (on 750 ti vs 760 vs 770) useful -- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2032317/gtx-750-sli-760-770.html .  You can also compare them on the site gpuboss.com or a similar one. There you can see the main advantages of each. 
Hope this helps, 
Titania_WD

GPUboss was really helpful, thanks for that. Just came across the Zotac GTX 970 Amp Extreme, that's hitting the  sweet spot with my budget as well 

Like most people i watched a few YouTube vids (linustechtips is to be blamed <3) and now i'm all hyped up about building my own gaming-ish rig 

here's what i'm going with and i'm already stretched out on my budget of Rs. 78,200/- roughly about USD  1275/-

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670k 

M/B - Asus Maximus VII Ranger - z97/LGA 1150

GPU - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 2GB , model - ZT-70601-10M

PSU - Corsair VS650 non modular 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB, (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) [ 1 module atm will get a dual channel upgrade in a month perhaps] 

Storage - SDD - Samsung 120GB 2.5" 840 EVO SATAIII SSD  ....and a mechanical HDD - WD 2TB (WD20EZRX)

Case - CM Storm Scout 2 (black) 

Possible upgrades i would like to get in a month or two would be 

1. the additional ram module for dual channel 

2. the Corsair H100i cooler 

3. LED strips for aesthetics

A little info, i'm from India so ordering spares from US is quite a costly affair with shipping and all plus a huge headache with warranty and stuff. What would i be using the PC for well mainly gaming would want to play most current gen games like FC3, Tomb Raider and a few MOBAs like Smite. resolution isn't much of a factor for me personally so gaming on a 780p is just fine.  

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Praise be tomshardware!

India

Flipkart Much like Amazon for India

The IT Depot

Lynx Chandigarh

Swami PC

Techshop

Shopmania

MD Computers

www.junglee.com/

Getting an Asus RoG board is a waste of money, it's too expensive and you're spending too little on the GPU. You should also go for the 4690k instead of the 4670k. The rest of the build seems good enough.

Hi there Aly,

IMO your build is great for gaming. 4690K should indeed be slightly better than 4670k. I see that you're planning a 120GB SSD and a 2TB WD Green drive. The WD Green line is pretty reliable and the drives are very quiet and energy-efficient. However, if you have a lot of games (exceeding the capacity of the SSD) I'd suggest you take a look at WD Black (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760), which is designed especially for gaming. WD recommends the Green line mainly for secondary storage. An alternative would be to combine the SSD with the standard WD Blue drives.

Have fun with your new reg!

Cheers,

Titania_WD

Good build,

Personal I'd get an asus z97-A motherboard and put the money you save from that into a better graphics card. (As stated above by Demons Wrath)

The Z97-A has everything you really need, depending on the number and type of ports you want, but will easily handle everything you've got selected at the moment.

Thank you all for your replies. 

@Tripnator, yes i will be considering overclocking although i need to research more on it before i'm in the comfort zone, from what i read my gpu wont have much gains with OC basied on a few reviews 

@Demons Wrath, i picked the ROG for the colour scheme, choices are quite limited from where i'm at and ordering what i want internationally is quite expensive. i checked the Asus z97-A (priced 15,000) and decided for the rog (priced 16,300). it seems my gpu is a bit underwhelmed for what i'm going for any suggestions on another gpu?

@Titania_WD, The WD black is a nice suggestion i swapped out the WB green drive for the WB black one 2TB. 

@Praxis, the z97-a and rog had a difference of 1,300 Rs. so i thought might be better with the rog, the money saved wouldn't get me anything else really 

I made some changes going with the i5-4690k, swapped to the WD-Black 2Tb, and looking at GTX 770 or 780 cards by Asus i cant look at the EVGA Super clocked ones as they are way out of my budget atm :( is the 780 worth it over the 770 and overall are they a better buy over the 750ti?

@Ali ,

Glad to hear that you've decided for the WD Black. I really think that you'll like it for gaming.  

I've seen different discussions on the 750ti, 770 and 780 comparison. You might find this one (on 750 ti vs 760 vs 770) useful -- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2032317/gtx-750-sli-760-770.html .  You can also compare them on the site gpuboss.com or a similar one. There you can see the main advantages of each. 
Hope this helps, 
Titania_WD

@Ali ,

Hope this helps, 
Titania_WD

GPUboss was really helpful, thanks for that. Just came across the Zotac GTX 970 Amp Extreme, that's hitting the  sweet spot with my budget as well