G10 + H90

I ordered the following to test on a GPU

Kraken G10 (with after market fan)

Corsair H90 (With NF-14)

Im testing the AIO +G10 for silence and performance so dont want to fun fans and stuff at 100% if it doesnt need to.

My questions is where should i plug everything in?

The AIO Pump? (onto MB or directly to PSU?)

The AIO fan (will be plugged into MB)

The G10 Fan (onto MB or Directly to psu or on the GPu if it has a fan header)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

AIO pump (assuming it is 4 pin) into the motherboard because you have to set it to run at 100% 24/7 (just like with a CPU).

both fans into the GPU (if it has 2 fan headers). This is because both fans will ramp up if temps increase on the card (g10 being for VRMs and AIO being for the core).

IMO this is the best configuration.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Just remember you void warranty on most cards doing this :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

AIO pump (assuming it is 4 pin) into the motherboard because you have to set it to run at 100% 24/7 (just like with a CPU).

both fans into the GPU (if it has 2 fan headers). This is because both fans will ramp up if temps increase on the card (g10 being for VRMs and AIO being for the core).

Ok thanks, my AIO on my CPU is on my CPU_opt and i cant control it, it runs at about 7000RPM dont know if thats thr right speed.

The fans for my AIo on my CPu are on the CPU_Fan on the MB and iv set them to run at 700 RPM (2x NF-14)

Ill add the new AIo to a MB header and set it to 100%

But ill put the AIo fan on the Mb as well to run at 700RPM constant

I wont put the AIO fan and the G10 fan on the GPu since the are different sizes and different speeds and different makes.

Ill see if my GPu has Fan header and use that for the G10 fan.

Just remember you void warranty on most cards doing this  :)

Ye i know that :)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

make sure you buy VRAM heat sinks as the G10 doesnt cool them at all. 

They seem to all be covered already. so doesnt look like i will need

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxMTk3NjU5NW5pdEZaMTFFZzFfMV83X2wuanBn

yea that looks good would not worry about it then! 

Thanks for the help guys, just waiting for the AIO to assemble it, then will post the before and after pics with results.

Does the GPU need additional heatsinks for the VRAM and VRMs?  In short, no.  The whole "insufficient VRAM/VRM cooling" began with a review of the G10 by Puget Systems.  This review is probably the most critical review of the G10 out there.  While it makes an interesting point, I have to discredit it to some extend.  For starters, in their gaming benchmark/temperature test, the temperatures are perfectly fine, they are even lower with the G10 than with the  stock heatsink.  The only time when we see the VRM temperatures higher with the G10 than the stock heatsink are when they run Kombustor.

Kombustor/Furmark is a program that should NEVER be run.  It puts unnecessary load on the GPU that is completely unrealistic.  It is a card killer.  It is uncommon, but happens enough that it needs to be mentioned.  Kombustor can and will brick your card unexpectedly without warning.  It happened to me earlier this year.  I like to give my components 2 weeks of break in time before overclocking to make sure everything is working properly.  This is what I did with my brand new, MSi GTX 770 Lightning.  I had used the card for 2 weeks, no problems, everything going fine.  As you know with a Lightning, this is a card built specifically for overclocking.  Without knowing what I know now, I ran Kombustor at stock settings to get a baseline for my overclocks.  It took all of 3 minutes running Kombustor on a brand new, not-overclocked card for my card to die.  I am not the only one this has happened to, so I always tell my story whenever I get a chance because Kombustor is a dangerous program, and should not be used.

Back to the Puget review.  They ran Kombustor during their review/test, which as a reviewer, they should try and test the card in all scenarios in order to give the reader an idea of what to expect.  My problem with the review is that it is an unrealistic scenario, one which I would not recommend anyone to do at home, and you are unlikely to encounter that type of load during regular use.  In their Unigine test, the temperatures are perfectly fine, even lower with the G10.  Another thing I forgot to add, VRAM temperatures are not really an issue, it is the VRMs that you need to be concerned with.

To give you an idea of what VRM temperatures are like for those of us at home, we asked members of the OCN G10 Owner's Club, who have cards that can monitor the VRM temperatures to run some tests.  Simple before and after tests. There are two reviews that I will point to. The Asus DCUII GTX 780Ti, Post #1147 and a reference R9 290 Post #1486 & Post #1500

You will see that the guy with the Asus GTX 780Ti was getting DCUII temperatures of 86C on the Core and 104C on the VRMs, his card was overclocked.  You can look at the link to see specifics of his OC, nothing major, very average.  Once he did the G10 modification without extra heat sinks, he was able to further overclock his card, and temperatures dropped to 49C on the Core, and 81C on the VRMs.  This tells us two things.  #1, the VRMs can withstand a lot of heat, #2 the G10's Fan does an excellent job of cooling the VRMs on its own.  Please keep in mind that this model of 780 comes with a mid-plate to help passively cool VRMs and VRAM.

There was another test done with an R9 290.  They went as far as to do a before and after test with heat sinks on their G10. They went from 90C on the core with the reference cooler all the way down to 55C with G10 + H55. VRMs went from 110C down to 75C.  Most importantly, when they added heat sinks the VRM temperatures dropped from 75C to 60C.  So adding heat sinks does help out if you are concerned about VRM temperatures. This was with a reference R9 290, so it was a naked card without mid-plate to passively help cool VRAM and VRMs.  These are just two examples, if you read through that thread, there are many more.

In summation,VRM temperatures are not a concern as long as you don't run a dangerous program like Kombustor/Furmark.  For awhile now people have been thinking that its a hardware problem, when in reality, its a software problem.  You will be perfectly fine buying just a Kraken G10 + AIO of your choice without extra heat sinks.  Any extras you decide to buy are optional.

If you are short on motherboard fan headers, you can plug the pump directly into the PSU.  It will also run at 100%, which is more desirable.

You can buy a $5 adapter that allows you to plug the 92mm G10 fan directly into the Video card, which will save you a motherboard fan header, and allow you to control the 92mm fan in MSI Afterburner.  Set the fan speed to a constant high RPM, not a fan curve.

Plug the radiator fans into the motherboard and control them that way.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thanks for the help guys, just waiting for the AIO to assemble it, then will post the before and after pics with results.

I don't you will be able to use the fan header on your video card, I believe at least on my NVIDIA card you would need an adapter. Some would suggest getting a molex to 3 pin fan adapter for the pump, so it's independent of the mobo if that fails and or settings get changed, that for some reason change the voltage of the pump.

Be prepared for very interesting install mine was a pain the arse.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

If you are short on motherboard fan headers, you can plug the pump directly into the PSU.  It will also run at 100%, which is more desirable.

You can buy a $5 adapter that allows you to plug the 92mm G10 fan directly into the Video card, which will save you a motherboard fan header, and allow you to control the 92mm fan in MSI Afterburner.  Set the fan speed to a constant high RPM, not a fan curve.

Thanks for that, as stated going to use the plate thats on the GPU anyway.

The Pump is PWM and i dont have an adapter from 4pin Molex to PWM but i do have the following, would this be fine and would the pump run at 100%?

Molex to 3 pin

1215vdi.jpg

Cant seem to find that adapter for the GPU here, so ill use the MB one for now for the G-10 fan, the AIo fan will stay on the MB and ill run it at a constant rpm as i do for all my fans

Thanks for that, as stated going to use the plate thats on the GPU anyway.

The Pump is PWM and i dont have an adapter from 4pin Molex to PWM but i do have the following, would this be fine and would the pump run at 100%?

Molex to 3 pin

1215vdi.jpg

Cant seem to find that adapter for the GPU here, so ill use the MB one for now for the G-10 fan, the AIo fan will stay on the MB and ill run it at a constant rpm as i do for all my fans

Yup. molex to 3pin will work just fine.  It will run at 100%, which is what you want.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yup. molex to 3pin will work just fine.  It will run at 100%, which is what you want.

thanks,

picking up the AIo tomorrow and will assemble it ^^

PUMP Power - PSU

AIO 140 Fan power- MB

G10 Fan power - MB, will convert to GPU if i can find the adapter here.

thanks,

picking up the AIo tomorrow and will assemble it ^^

PUMP Power - PSU

AIO 140 Fan power- MB

G10 Fan power - MB, will convert to GPU if i can find the adapter here.

Yup!  Also, remember to use plenty of TIM on the GPU Die if it is not pre-applied, or if you are applying your own.  It uses more than a CPU.

If you do find a VGA to PWM adapter, you will control that fan through MSI Afterburner, and you want to set it to a constant and high RPM.  Because the temperature is measure from the core, and the fan is for the VRMs, a fan curve will not be appropriate because you want the G10's included fan to be running at a high RPM in order to adequately cool the VRMs.

Yup!  Also, remember to use plenty of TIM on the GPU Die if it is not pre-applied, or if you are applying your own.  It uses more than a CPU.

If you do find a VGA to PWM adapter, you will control that fan through MSI Afterburner, and you want to set it to a constant and high RPM.  Because the temperature is measure from the core, and the fan is for the VRMs, a fan curve will not be appropriate because you want the G10's included fan to be running at a high RPM in order to adequately cool the VRMs.

Might as well use the MB then? have all my fans running on AI Suit 3 and they all on a constant rpm. so no point on buying the adapter then

Might as well use the MB then? have all my fans running on AI Suit 3 and they all on a constant rpm. so no point on buying the adapter then

Yea, unless you need to free up a motherboard fan header, no point buying the adapter.