NIC failure?

Go to solution Solved by paratrev,

IM just going to mark this as solved because i believe its just dead. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ok so I installed a coolermaster hyper 212 plus hsf (great btw) and booted my computer, got online was doing stuff, then I went to open up coretemp, and my computer bsod'd. I restarted, then noticed that I could not connect to the internet. I went and reinstalled drivers, I even reinstalled my os (didnt have much on my c: drive and wanted to re-partition anyway) I believe the nic just failed, because there are no activity lights on the port, but my switch still shows its connected. I have a cisco IT essentials completion certificate,its not much but I had a year experience in this field before I went. I was just wanting a second opinion, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA990XA-UD3 AM3+ socket, and the newest non-beta BIOS.

Have you messed with Wake-On-Lan features in the BIOS?  I had an issue with my LAN port not working a motherboard while I was changing some of those settings around.

No, i even tried disabling and re-enabling of it through the bios i believe something just caused it to fail.

No, i even tried disabling and re-enabling of it through the bios i believe something just caused it to fail.

Did it fail after you updated your bios? Try a CMOS reset to reset the bios settings to see if it will fix it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah, even after the update it still doesnt work, I even did the cmos reset lol i have no idea

IM just going to mark this as solved because i believe its just dead. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Forgive me in case your mind is already set, but I don't give up on technology easily ( not saying you are, but I'm just stating my frame of mind :D  )

Have you tried connecting that computer's ethernet port straight to the modem and powercycling the modem 1st and pc 2nd?

Have you tried connecting that pc's ethernet port to another network and straight to that other network's modem?

Are there any other devices ( computers, gaming consoles..etc) connected to that same network and are they still running like a champ?

If all else has been tried including these ideas and you have clearly determined that onboard nic to be dead.  pci e 1x nic's are fairly cheap.  Might as well splurge alittle and get an intel nic and call it a day.  They're built like a tank and that's just ONE of the many reasons the highest end gaming and hardcore enthusiast boards have them onboard.

Hope this helps. :D

I believe it is completely dead because there are no activity/status lights, also my usb 3 ports stopped working at the same time, so i believe its just the motherboard going flaky, I have ordered usb 3 and gigabit nic cards, like i said in the original post i was just wondering what other people thought of the issue, but i do appreciate your suggestion! :)