Chainmail

If I remember correctly they were just used during different periods and for different uses and styles as well as different cultures.

I mostly played with wedged rivets as I didn't really want to start modding a pair of pliers. but as far as I can remember (this was all a few years ago) it should all be about the same durability riveted is riveted. where the difference comes in is in looks and in wearability with a flat wedge rivet you may have a sharp point sticking out but then again with a dome rivet you do have the bit of a bump that if its not formed properly can also snag on things especially if you have a gambeson under it that is prone to snagging.

An alternative but only for serious strength rings is to weld them closed, this is mostly used in say butchers gloves or freaking shark suits! I have had a bit of success in just soldering butted rings closed but its only good for small projects that don't need too much strength.

Alright fair enough, Thanks a bunch for your help, I think I'm going to order around 3,000 mild steel flattened rings to start and see how far that takes me/if I'm going to have the patience to do all 20,000 lol. I'll definitely be posting pics

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Alright fair enough, Thanks a bunch for your help, I think I'm going to order around 3,000 mild steel flattened rings to start and see how far that takes me/if I'm going to have the patience to do all 20,000 lol. I'll definitely be posting pics

Good plan! start small and work upward because even a simple coif will set you back a good chunk of time. The simplest project but maybe the most satisfying for me was just making a square, you get a really cool sample bit of mail and it feels freaking awesome.

I would also suggest you use your first rings to figure out a workflow that works for you, I found that making a load of chains and then adding the missing rings into the middle to make them into a sheet was quite efficient. also mix it up a bit don't spend 1000 hours just doing one thing on repeat do a bit or chain making and then switch to say linking that to the main project and then switch to opening and closing a few rings, swapping and changing will help you not to lose patience in it all. listening to music or watching TV is also great :)

Where are you getting your rings from?

ps. post pics of what ever you make dude.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Where are you getting your rings from?

ps. post pics of what ever you make dude.

Haha thanks for the tips, and I definitly will be, I'm going to order them from here i think http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNC850&name=1+kg+Loose+Wedge+Riveted+Flat+Chainmail+Rings+-+Mild+Steel+17+Gauge+%2F+9mm Although I am slightly confused by what it means when it says 'loose'

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!