Intel Pentium G645 or AMD A4-5300 for cheapest computer project?

Hey guys. I'm venturing out to fulfill my need to tinker with hardware, and create the cheapest pc project.

The processors I'm looking at for said cheapest pc project are the Pentium G645 and the A4-5300.

i myself am generally an intel kinda guy, especially when AMD hasn't done a whole lot of improvement these past few years, just throwing higher clock speeds and more cores at us.

there is the potential that I will throw EG a gt 640 in there and turn it into a super cheap gaming pc to play battlefield 3 on or something, so keep that in consideration when recommending.

the price for the CPU, ram, case with psu, and the motherboard will be under $300 New Zealand Dollars. That's about $250 USD. Pretty good, huh?

The idea sprung when I saw the intel NUC which I wanted so badly. Because its awesome. But when I thought about it, I could build something super cheap to play with too. So I went with that option.

anyway,my our thoughts?

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

The G645 offers better CPU performance, while the A4 offers better graphics performance. Since you are throwing in a dedicated card anyways however, I'd go with the Pentium.

Also, from what I've seen the GT640 is a poor value card, the HD6670 would be a better choice for notably less.

Yeah the graphics card is only a maybe, but the intel HD 2500 are perfectly fine. A lot of people underestimate intel's graphics. Especially when most people wouldn't even use a dedicated graphics card in their use. Anyway, I was also thinking intel because of upgradeablilty. If I did want to turn it into a better gaming system, I could easily throw in a i3 or i5 right in there and be away running. The GT640 and 6670 seem relatively the same in benchmarks. What would you reccomend just over the gt640? Looking to probably play battlefield 3 at 1080P on medium settings preferably. I'm not crazy about high frame rates, as long as it's playable. So 30fps, dropping to 25fps to me is perfectly acceptable.

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

I would go with the Intel Pentium G645. But if you want to be a little more future proof get an Intel Pentium G850 for $79.99

The G645 would be fine but when you mentioned "upgradeability", i wouldn't say it's just Intel but also AMD because you still can use a AM3 processor in a AM3+ motherboard and also the current generation (Vishera) can still used on the same socket.