Android UI is EXTREMELY LAGGY.

vt3c

So, I'm using LiquidSmooth 3.1 on my Galaxy Note N7000 (i717, qualcomm snapdragon 1.5ghz 1GB RAM Ardeno 220) and it runs really smooth except for ONE problem. 

Just ONE.

The UI is so resource-hog that it causes the phone to hang and/or crash. I mean even after a fresh restart/boot up. I just installed it today. 

I mean, I played real racing 2 on optimal with no lag while listening to music. But gods FORBID I go to the home screen to make a call or send a message on steam/skype. 

I also had the same issue with CM10.1.3, except it was so bad it crashed around 4 times a day. Even when just typing in a phone number. 

Anyone got an idea how to fix this?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

try a new CM version

maybe use the stock rom?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

-snip-

lol seems like you've been on quite a ride ever since you got that thing. Have you tried the latest CM11 snapshot?

"Rawr XD"

sounds like your governor is a bit too conservative. if you are rooted and have a custom kernel and can tweak the kernel, I would recommend running the interactive governor. this will increase the clock speed any time you touch the touch screen(afaik) or naturally when you have a resource heavy program running.

lol seems like you've been on quite a ride ever since you got that thing. Have you tried the latest CM11 snapshot?

It's weird however, as I could have a trillion tabs open in chrome and it's still rock solid, ZERO lag. I could even be playing a game and listening to music while this happens. 

But if I have to go to the home screen/UI for ANY reason. At all. Bam. Super lag. 

Even with no apps running. 

It is WEIRD.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

sounds like your governor is a bit too conservative. if you are rooted and have a custom kernel and can tweak the kernel, I would recommend running the interactive governor. this will increase the clock speed any time you touch the touch screen(afaik) or naturally when you have a resource heavy program running.

I tried using SuperSU to root, and when I opened it, it told me it needed to install. I clicked yes. It then told me there was an error, and to restart to install. 

So I did. 

Then I tried it again, same issue. 

Then I restarted again.

I repeated this cycle at least 3 times.

This android has been a pain for me to say the least. 

I tried using SuperSU to root, and when I opened it, it told me it needed to install. I clicked yes. It then told me there was an error, and to restart to install. 

ROMs should come pre-rooted so no point in using SuperSU to root if you flashed a custom ROM. Try setting CPU governer to interactive like @ said. I don't know how this is done on Liquidsmooth though

"Rawr XD"

So I did. 

Then I tried it again, same issue. 

Then I restarted again.

I repeated this cycle at least 3 times.

This android has been a pain for me to say the least. 

you need to do more than simply install Super SU.

Super SU is simply an interface to configure SU.

SU binaries need to be installed traditionally through a flash in recovery, although towelroot by the hacker George Hotz "Geohot" works on many devices including a lot of samsung devices and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader.

ROMs should come pre-rooted so no point in using SuperSU to root if you flashed a custom ROM. Try setting CPU governer to interactive like @ said. I don't know how this is done on Liquidsmooth though

In LiquidSmooth, you go to the settings menu and select performance. But then it tells me I can't make any changes unless I install SuperSU, and all I can do is view the settings already in place. 

you need to do more than simply install Super SU.

Super SU is simply an interface to configure SU.

SU binaries need to be installed traditionally through a flash in recovery, although towelroot by the hacker George Hotz "Geohot" works on many devices including a lot of samsung devices and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader.

Lucky me, I bought mine with an unlocked bootloader. 

In LiquidSmooth, you go to the settings menu and select performance. But then it tells me I can't make any changes unless I install SuperSU, and all I can do is view the settings already in place. 

Well then install SuperSU? There shouldn't be any configuring for it. I just download the latest version from the Chainfire site and flash it in recovery. Works as soon as I boot back into the ROM

"Rawr XD"

Lucky me, I bought mine with an unlocked bootloader. 

if you have a custom bootloader such as TWRP, CWM, or Philz touch(which is on a CWM base)

then you can flash a custom kernel that is compatible with your ROM.

once you've done that you can use a program such as kernel tweaker or trickstermod

your current kernel may even be able to be tweaked through these programs, but you will need root for that

now to get root

1. on your phone go to towelroot.com, click the lambda(inverted y), which will start an tr.apk downloading.

2. install it and start the program by I believe "make it rain" 

then you should have superuser binaries installed.

3. install Super SU from the play store.

4. the most important step: if Super SU says you have root, rejoice!

if you already have root please don't do this, as I don't know what would happen. I don't think stock CM has root but I also run an AOSP base Rom, not CM.

if you have a custom bootloader such as TWRP, CWM, or Philz touch(which is on a CWM base)

once you've done that you can use a program such as kernel tweaker or trickstermod

your current kernel may even be able to be tweaked through these programs, but you will need root for that

now to get root

1. on your phone go to towelroot.com, click the lambda(inverted y), which will start an tr.apk downloading.

if you already have root please don't do this, as I don't know what would happen. I don't think stock CM has root but I also run an AOSP base Rom, not CM.

This doesn't really need to happen since OP can just download the SuperSU zip from Chainfire, flash it in recovery, and have SuperSU ready to go. Also towelroot doesn't work for every device that I've tried it with (well, it's actually never worked for me).

A custom kernel isn't required to change the governor either, it should be something that is already implemented into the kernel that comes with the ROM.

"Rawr XD"

This doesn't really need to happen since OP can just download the SuperSU zip from Chainfire, flash it in recovery, and have SuperSU ready to go. Also towelroot doesn't work for every device that I've tried it with (well, it's actually never worked for me).

A custom kernel isn't required to change the governor either, it should be something that is already implemented into the kernel that comes with the ROM.

I have had some luck with towelroot. it seems to work well with samsung devices. my S4, my mother's note 3, and my friend's S3 and S5 have all been successfully rooted with towelroot.

HTC One does not work with towelroot as it uses a newer version of the linux kernel that lacks this vulnerability(that could be used to hack the device)

I have had some luck with towelroot. it seems to work well with samsung devices. my S4, my mother's note 3, and my friend's S3 and S5 have all been successfully rooted with towelroot.

HTC One does not work with towelroot as it uses a newer version of the linux kernel that lacks this vulnerability(that could be used to hack the device)

I just root my friends Samsung devices by flashing CF Autoroot through ODIN, the classic way I guess

"Rawr XD"

Well then install SuperSU? There shouldn't be any configuring for it. I just download the latest version from the Chainfire site and flash it in recovery. Works as soon as I boot back into the ROM

I did. When I installed it from the play store, it told me it needed to install /more/. So I did and it said it failed and to reboot, and I repeated the same steps like 4 times with no avail.

I was using Polluti0n's rom patch with stable OC selected, and apparently that doesn't want to do anything. Which is... rather weird.

I just root my friends Samsung devices by flashing CF Autoroot through ODIN, the classic way I guess

my phone has only been on contact with ODIN once to flash Philz touch and since then I've only been using recovery flashes. I am very careful to have a nandroid if I am about to do anything that might soft brick as I'd rather restore and transfer files to re ROM again that way than push them through the bootloader.

I don't even know if fastboot is used for pushing files as it was on the nexus devices I was much more comfortable with.

now to get root

The second I went to towelroot.com and clicked the lambda, 50 tabs opened in chrome. The heck.

The second I went to towelroot.com and clicked the lambda, 50 tabs opened in chrome. The heck.

woooah. that's not supposed to happen

and it didn't for me. tr.apk downloaded as it was supposed to.

woooah. that's not supposed to happen

and it didn't for me. tr.apk downloaded as it was supposed to.

Yeah. I literally had to power off my device in order to stop it. 

lol it did that for me once too

"Rawr XD"

my phone has only been on contact with ODIN once to flash Philz touch and since then I've only been using recovery flashes. I am very careful to have a nandroid if I am about to do anything that might soft brick as I'd rather restore and transfer files to re ROM again that way than push them through the bootloader.

I don't even know if fastboot is used for pushing files as it was on the nexus devices I was much more comfortable with.

Well there's no fastboot on Samsung... only download mode. If you need a file and there's no ROM on the phone you gotta either do it through recovery or an external SD card

"Rawr XD"

Well there's no fastboot on Samsung... only download mode. If you need a file and there's no ROM on the phone you gotta either do it through recovery or an external SD card

recovery time. I'm gonna load the SuperSU zip and, hopefully, I can finally change the CPU governer to stop being a conservative murican.

I did. When I installed it from the play store, it told me it needed to install /more/. So I did and it said it failed and to reboot, and I repeated the same steps like 4 times with no avail.

You're not supposed to install SuperSU from the play store.

Download it from here, and flash the zip file in recovery 

http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/

"Rawr XD"