Internal Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Antennae Mod

I'm interested in building a new HTPC and am looking for a way to mod my case to accommodate an internal antennae for my Intel wireless AC and Bluetooth card.  Using the stock antennae is not the end of the world but if I can swap it out and use the typical antennae on a laptop, drill into the case and fit black plastic to allow for a signal through the front of the PC, I should be able to reduce my used cabinet space and give a better Bluetooth connection for my mini keyboard and Dualshock 4.  Basically I want my HTPC to have a wireless solution similar to the way the PS4 is arranged. Does anyone have any experience doing this or tips for the mod, or am I trying to do something stupid?  Thanks all.

I used the nzxt usb expansion header and hid it in my case and used a usb WiFi adapter

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

It wouldn't be quite as elegant, but you could do some small extensions from the back of the card and run them back into the case thru a hole to the antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/30cm-Female-RP-SMA-Extension-Cable/dp/B00EPG4A3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413559883&sr=8-1&keywords=rpsma+extension

Reverse polarized SMA is the most common connector used in routers and wireless cards, but yours may be different so verify first. The difference between RPSMA and SMA is which gender of connector the center pin in located in.

smadiagram.jpg

What case were you thinking of going with?

If you were to use something like the SG05 you could run the leads to the front of the case and mount the antennas under the removable plastic front (I think there is enough room) so there is very little signal degradation.

• 3 months later...