New Laptop, So Many Choices

TheAndyPanda

Hi everyone,

My beloved ASUS N55 SF has finally died, and while I will honor it for it's long years of service, it is time to pick it's successor.

I am looking to spend $1000 (CAD), but I understand I might end up higher for what I want. I am a university student and would like something that will last me, but again I'm on a budget.

I'm looking for something decently powerful, as I do CAD and other 3D work. I don't need the absolute best however, just something to work on while away from my desktop. I also want something with good battery life, as long as possible really. I hate having to recharge all the time, and so haven't been able to find something right. All of the gaming laptops with the power I want tank on battery, and the ultrabooks that have both are very expensive (such is life). I would like dedicated graphics, but it really doesn't need to be a 980M, just something that can run my preview renders and the occasional game. Oh ya and 15 inch would be preferable, I like my numberpads, and 17 is too big.

I have looked at the following already, and would appreciate any other options as well as additional input. Thanks.

Dell XPS 15 - Good battery, nice and thin. 750M is getting old, expensive.

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 - Nice power, not sure about battery. Lack of dedicated graphics.

Lenovo X1 Carbon - Good battery, nice and thin. Lack of an i7 or dedicated graphics, expensive.

Lenovo T540/T440 - Awesome Battery, lack of dedicated graphics.

ASUS Zenbook (silly serial #) - Freakin expensive.

Thanks again everyone :)