Pro audio question

techlover1

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone here has enough experience to answer this question, but here goes.

I'm looking to be able to play music from an ipod without hauling our whole rack out of storage (it's a rolling rack) we have a second amplifier that has a single working channel, would it be possible to use a 1/8inch to XLR cable to plug in a ipod without using a mixer?

Thanks in advance. Steven

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone here has enough experience to answer this question, but here goes.

I'm looking to be able to play music from an ipod without hauling our whole rack out of storage (it's a rolling rack) we have a second amplifier that has a single working channel, would it be possible to use a 1/8inch to XLR cable to plug in a ipod without using a mixer?

Yes you can go straight from the amp to the ipod without the mixer.

Just watch the volume.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

1/8 to XLR would be a good option. you will ned a very long wire if both of your speakers are far from each other. Since it will not be a balanced signal, you will most likely pick up some noise on the way.

but first ;

what kind of speaker do you have? are they active or passive speakers? you talked about an amp and a mixer. they both don't have the same output type.

1/8 to XLR would be a good option. you will ned a very long wire if both of your speakers are far from each other. Since it will not be a balanced signal, you will most likely pick up some noise on the way.

but first ;

what kind of speaker do you have? are they active or passive speakers? you talked about an amp and a mixer. they both don't have the same output type.

The speakers are passive. Our normal rack goes dual XLR out into the amp, then speak-on out to the speakers.

Thanks for the help, I will get the cable ordered soon.

The speakers are passive. Our normal rack goes dual XLR out into the amp, then speak-on out to the speakers.

Thanks for the help, I will get the cable ordered soon.

So....are you saying you're trying to drive passive speakers with an Ipod alone? I didn't quite get the original question....

So....are you saying you're trying to drive passive speakers with an Ipod alone? I didn't quite get the original question....

Sorry, I probably could've worded it better.

I'm trying to drive passive speakers using a iPod and an amplifier, just without a mixer

Sorry, I probably could've worded it better.

I'm trying to drive passive speakers using a iPod and an amplifier, just without a mixer

Then it's doable, as long as there's the proper interconnect cable connection (i.e. 3,5mm to RCA, etc)