First build - $800 budget - So many options, need a push!

Quezy

Hello all

I have been stuck in analysis paralysis for a few weeks now. I have a budget of $800 (can bump it to $1k, if needed) for a new gaming rig. I have watched hours of pc builds, so I think I can tackle this. I am looking for a rig that will last me 3-4 years playing titles like: BF4, Heros of the Storm, Shadows of Mordor, and maybe some WoW. I play on a single monitor at 1080p.

I am really stuck on the Intel vs AMD thing and which processor would be best for my build. I have no plans to stream, edit videos, and things of that nature. I just want to be able to do a few home office tasks and play some games when the kids are sleeping and the wife making sandwiches.

Feel free to ask any questions that will help in the part selection process. My only build question is do I need to update my BIOS on my new motherboard, or do they just come stock ready to go. Success or fail, I am determined to build a PC. One last note, if you can same me some cash with a build that can meet all my gaming needs all the better!

Thank you,

Q

this isnt even in the right section... pls -_-

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Hello all

I have been stuck in analysis paralysis for a few weeks now. I have a budget of $800 (can bump it to $1k, if needed) for a new gaming rig. I have watched hours of pc builds, so I think I can tackle this. I am looking for a rig that will last me 3-4 years playing titles like: BF4, Heros of the Storm, Shadows of Mordor, and maybe some WoW. I play on a single monitor at 1080p.

I am really stuck on the Intel vs AMD thing and which processor would be best for my build. I have no plans to stream, edit videos, and things of that nature. I just want to be able to do a few home office tasks and play some games when the kids are sleeping and the wife making sandwiches.

Feel free to ask any questions that will help in the part selection process. My only build question is do I need to update my BIOS on my new motherboard, or do they just come stock ready to go. Success or fail, I am determined to build a PC. One last note, if you can same me some cash with a build that can meet all my gaming needs all the better!

Thank you,

Q

go with intel, higher speeds on less cores is better for MOST games, AMD is good for programs that take advantage of lots of cores. heck, i know some people have the new dual core OC'd to break neck and have a great experience.

and do you have everything picked out? go make a list of it on PC part picker and see if we might be able to find some deals for you, i know i get a ton of great deals from newegg and tiger direct through email.

go with intel, higher speeds on less cores is better for MOST games, AMD is good for programs that take advantage of lots of cores. heck, i know some people have the new dual core OC'd to break neck and have a great experience.

and do you have everything picked out? go make a list of it on PC part picker and see if we might be able to find some deals for you, i know i get a ton of great deals from newegg and tiger direct through email.

I am really stuck on which processor to go with. Do I go latest and greatest or old tried and true. 

I am really stuck on which processor to go with. Do I go latest and greatest or old tried and true. 

well that depends, what mother board you have? whats your budget for just the CPU youre willing to spend? are you going to overclock?

well that depends, what mother board you have? whats your budget for just the CPU youre willing to spend? are you going to overclock?

I have to buy everything. My budget is around $800-$1k. I only need the rig hardware and I do not plan to OC. What would you recommend from pcpartpicker?

I have to buy everything. My budget is around $800-$1k. I only need the rig hardware and I do not plan to OC. What would you recommend from pcpartpicker?

what is your color scheme going to be? im trying to find a mobo id recommend for you 

what is your color scheme going to be? im trying to find a mobo id recommend for you 

I care nothing for color. I just want a PC that meets my gaming needs see above from games and such.

I care nothing for color. I just want a PC that meets my gaming needs see above from games and such.

ah something else i thought of, is this going into a full size case or is a mini ATX or something?

ah something else i thought of, is this going into a full size case or is a mini ATX or something?

Mid i think.

Can you give me a full build?

hm okay, is that $800 for just the pc componets or do you need a monitor mouse audio device and keyboard? ah and sorry that took awhile to get back, we got a new dishwasher

hm okay, is that $800 for just the pc componets or do you need a monitor mouse audio device and keyboard? ah and sorry that took awhile to get back, we got a new dishwasher

Grats on the new dishwasher! I just need the pc components and a good case!

Grats on the new dishwasher! I just need the pc components and a good case!

what about an OS?

For $800 you can go FX 8320 And GTX 970 espeiclly if you can get a bundle at microcenter

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

This is my Christmas build. You can have it running for under $800 and then add the Optical drive and HDD as upgrades next month or whenever.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CptBliztkrieg/saved/fxvD4D

I have done a lot of research to produce this build, it fits my needs and I am quite happy with it. AMD vs Intel is blah. For an $800 build, go with AMD.

This is my Christmas build. You can have it running for under $800 and then add the Optical drive and HDD as upgrades next month or whenever.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CptBliztkrieg/saved/fxvD4D

I have done a lot of research to produce this build, it fits my needs and I am quite happy with it. AMD vs Intel is blah. For an $800 build, go with AMD.

thats funny, its $946.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.98 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1015.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-07 23:18 EDT-0400

This is the build I would go with. For the money it's one of the best and most reliable. Eventually you can get a CPU cooler if you really want to in order to keep the temps down but without overclocking, stock cooler should be fine.

thats funny, its $946.

Actually it's 964, but that's with a 2TB HDD and a Blu Ray drive, but you know Haters gonna Hate...

if u plan to do sli in future :

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($130.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($73.80 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1033.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 01:45 EDT-0400

if don't want to sli:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($73.80 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1000.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 01:49 EDT-0400

Here are the specs for 1000$ budget.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (replace the stock cooler)

-Raijintek Themis 120mm

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280X Asus OC

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator CL9 DDR3 2x4GB 1866MHz (CL9 for use of all the bandwidth, also, you could/should add more in the future)

HDD (SSD optional): Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 64MB

OPTICAL DRIVE (optional): Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE

PSU: Cooler Master G750M 750W (it's a bit more than what you need, but it's cool :) )

CASE: Aerocool GT Black Edition

There it is, if you think of a better build (ofc. you will, this is just my opinion), be free to add :) Good luck!