My HD on its way out "pic"

PunchClown
Go to solution Solved by PunchClown,

I went and picked up  A hard drive a best buy is was cheaper than newegg and micro center $50 less for same drive  WD 1t  64meg  7200rmp  64mb cash for $65.00 no waiting for it and if it goes bad in 2 years i can just bring it back  a least i will plenty room for my stuff not that it took up alot but never know when i will need the space ....I feel better knowing I have a new hard drive 

Yeah, it looks like it. I'd suggest you start backing up immediately. How old is it? What brand and model?

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

Yeah, it looks like it. I'd suggest you start backing up immediately. How old is it? What brand and model?

OK thank you I know it was a seagate  500g  my friend gave it to me  new in the box  about 2 years ago he had it sitting around for about 4 -5 years  ...I will start looking around for a new one local nothing  to really worry about as far as backup i only really only have steam  on it and 2 other games so it is a easy fix for me..  I will just down load  stuff  when i go to sleep at night to make it less painful ..Thank you again

Has it really only been on for 84 hours? Has it been dropped while it was still in the packaging, then, maybe?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

OK thank you I know it was a seagate  500g  my friend gave it to me  new in the box  about 2 years ago he had it sitting around for about 4 -5 years  ...I will start looking around for a new one local nothing  to really worry about as far as backup i only really only have steam  on it and 2 other games so it is a easy fix for me..  I will just down load  stuff  when i go to sleep at night to make it less painful ..Thank you again

You're welcome, I'm glad to help.

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

Has it really only been on for 84 hours? Has it been dropped while it was still in the packaging, then, maybe?

Some drives fail for no reason, the OP did say it was 6-7 years old though.

yes i know HD's die super fast or some are like my other HD in my other pc that has been reformatted well 500 times with windows and linux and is over 10 years old  ..It is just luck of the draw and  ithink the on time is how long my pc has been on with out powering down as it is verry rare for me to shut it down

The data field holds its total power on hours, which is about 589 days if the value is in decimal and not hex.

With regards to the op, it might be fine for years, or it could die tomorrow. Backup regardless, even if it was fine

The data field holds its total power on hours, which is about 589 days if the value is in decimal and not hex.

With regards to the op, it might be fine for years, or it could die tomorrow. Backup regardless, even if it was fine

So how do I read these data fields then? What do the threshold, worst and current fields mean?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I went and picked up  A hard drive a best buy is was cheaper than newegg and micro center $50 less for same drive  WD 1t  64meg  7200rmp  64mb cash for $65.00 no waiting for it and if it goes bad in 2 years i can just bring it back  a least i will plenty room for my stuff not that it took up alot but never know when i will need the space ....I feel better knowing I have a new hard drive