Other drives in a WD 2TB My Book VelociRaptor Duo Thunderbolt

I managed to get a WD 2TB My Book VelociRaptor Duo Thunderbolt for a good price. It says it avoids the warrantee if you use other drives which aren't 1TB VelociRaptor's. I have tried other drives and they seem fine. I don't mind avoiding the warranty, but is it ok for my drives? Surely it's the same enclosure as the WD 4TB My Book Thunderbolt?

Thanks, Ben

Why would you change from one of the fastest drives available? It's like asking if it's ok to change the engine in a Ferrari to a Chevy V8.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Hi, Ben

What drives are you planning to put in your enclosure? WD Greens?

You are right, that you should only use VelociRaptor drives inside your enclosure, or you will void your warranty.

You could change one of the drives, so that the information may be repaired from RAID1. Probably your drives are not going to work if you change them both, because the new drives will not possess the necessary software to communicate with the enclosure. Getting WD Green drives ( from WD My Book Thunderbolt duo) inside your VelociRaptor enclosure may result successful, but this may affect your performance.

Check this link, regarding getting a replacement drive or enclosure:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8644/

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Yes I plan on putting 2x WD 4TB Green drives in there. It currently works with 2x WD 2TB Greens, without a velociraptor in there... I shall test more. I'm aware of the performance drop :) thanks for the help R2.

• 7 months later...

So a few months on, how did this go? Looking for a 2-bay thunderbolt drive to complement my shiny new mac pro, and this one fits the bill - as long as I can replace the drives with larger ones down the road.