New headphones

cxz
http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technol...s=Samson+SR850 Waiting for the phone call from JB HI FI to tell me to come pick them up.

They look suspiciously like the AKG K240s. Tried and true design, I guess.

I personally use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and they are brilliant. Very comfortable (especially for someone with a bigger head, as you mentioned you have, OP) and the sound quality and soundspace (you can hear exactly where the sound is coming from) are awesome. The latter is important for FPS games, if you're playing them.

Keep in mind, they are open headphones. They don't shut out all of the ambient noise and sound of the noise will leak out. If you're in a noisy environment or you don't want people hearing what you're listening to if they're sitting next to you, then they're not the headphones for you. They're also not overly bassy. It's tight and honest bass (and certainly not lacking), but if you want *unce unce doof doof* dubstep headphones, these aren't the right ones. They're quite popular as entry-level audiophile 'phones and they go for around $100 in the US. ($150 here in Australia).

EDIT:

@ OddballMV - Open cans are good for Rock (and possibly Hardcore) as it makes discerning between each instrument much easier in genres that tend to get muddy. OP also mentioned they are gaming, which is highly suited to open cans when you need directional sound. I did highlight the caveats of a less prominent low-end (especially in relation to synthetic music) and low noise isolation. Considering they want a jack-of-all-trades, reading the entirety of the post, OP is going to have to make some sacrifices, so I trust their intelligence enough to take the information, weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision accordingly.

On the note of a do-it-all headphones, penguin's suggestion of the Samson/Superlux SR850s are a good middle-ground. Keep in mind they did inherit the semi-open design of the AKG K240 they copied, so they will leak a bit of sound, but much less than the AD700s. I think that's probably the best choice for you.

Lol yeah those things do look ugly. The SR850 I'm scared cause some people complain about the pleather hurting or making them sweat a lot. Those akg cushions are expensive.

I recommend the ASUS Orion (Pro) and the ASUS Echelon.

Orion: Big earcups, retractable microphone, very good bass, red-black ROG design, http://www.asus.de/Peripherals_Accessories/HeadphonesHeadset/Orion/

Orion Pro: Same as Orion, but with a spitfire audio processor, http://www.asus.de/Peripherals_Accessories/HeadphonesHeadset/Orion_PRO/

Echelon: Same as Orion but with a bi-directional microphone which will record your voice very precisely and it has a camo-design, http://www.asus.de/Peripherals_Accessories/HeadphonesHeadset/Echelon/

Those headsets look pretty cool, but I am trying to get away from them, because I am told by a lot of people reg headphones sound amazing. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technol...s=Samson+SR850 Waiting for the phone call from JB HI FI to tell me to come pick them up.

I personally use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and they are brilliant. Very comfortable (especially for someone with a bigger head, as you mentioned you have, OP) and the sound quality and soundspace (you can hear exactly where the sound is coming from) are awesome. The latter is important for FPS games, if you're playing them.

Keep in mind, they are open headphones. They don't shut out all of the ambient noise and sound of the noise will leak out. If you're in a noisy environment or you don't want people hearing what you're listening to if they're sitting next to you, then they're not the headphones for you. They're also not overly bassy. It's tight and honest bass (and certainly not lacking), but if you want *unce unce doof doof* dubstep headphones, these aren't the right ones. They're quite popular as entry-level audiophile 'phones and they go for around $100 in the US. ($150 here in Australia).

EDIT:

@ OddballMV - Open cans are good for Rock (and possibly Hardcore) as it makes discerning between each instrument much easier in genres that tend to get muddy. OP also mentioned they are gaming, which is highly suited to open cans when you need directional sound. I did highlight the caveats of a less prominent low-end (especially in relation to synthetic music) and low noise isolation. Considering they want a jack-of-all-trades, reading the entirety of the post, OP is going to have to make some sacrifices, so I trust their intelligence enough to take the information, weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision accordingly.

On the note of a do-it-all headphones, penguin's suggestion of the Samson/Superlux SR850s are a good middle-ground. Keep in mind they did inherit the semi-open design of the AKG K240 they copied, so they will leak a bit of sound, but much less than the AD700s. I think that's probably the best choice for you.

Lol yeah those things do look ugly. The SR850 I'm scared cause some people complain about the pleather hurting or making them sweat a lot. Those akg cushions are expensive.

Yeah, pleather can do that with any headphones. You never know, though - it might not bother you. It might also depend on your climate. If it's a hot or humid climate, they're likely to be sweaty and uncomfortable. Cold and Dry - not so much. There doesn't seem to be any cheaper replacements, so you're going to have to factor that into the price. They are still VERY google value headphones. I say get a pair and give them a go. For ~$50, you can't go wrong.

Re: replacement ear pads you *can* use the AD700 pads to great success as mentioned here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546544/samson-sr850-superlux-oem-review-a-50-budget-champion/105#post_7519435

That guy seems pretty happy with those pads on it, although bass will be cut a little without modifications, as they breathe more, but that's addressed further on in the post. They're also MUCH cheaper than the AKG pads.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

EDIT:

Well tried looking those up, but didn't see anything. Guess I'd have to call them to buy it.

I own the m50's they are pretty awesome, I was tossing up between the m50's and SR80i but heard that the SR80i leak sound and are a little fragile so I went with the m50's. The m50's are tough, sound great and don't leak sound.

Yeah I still have the white ones on my list cause they look so awesome, but I have heard a lot of times that the samson sr850 are just as good.