CompareExcange128 Error While Installing Windows 8.1? Solution?

Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

@SlayerOfHellWyrm

Brother I understand that my processor is ancient, but Right Now I just upgraded my primary rig with another 780Ti Classified so I don't have any money in my pocket right now xD. I'm worried that when Windows 9 launches, will I be able to run it on this processor? Or I would've to upgrade to a Pentium G3258 with H81M-K?

My guess, is you'll need to upgrade. I doubt there will be support for that thing when 9 launches. Of course, if you want to, you can try to run Threshold when it drops next month (the Windows 9 preview) and see how far you can get.

Hello.

I'm getting an error while installing Windows 8.1 64-bit on my secondary PC. I saw many people using Windows 8.1 on Core 2 Duos, But I just can't install Windows 8.1 64-bit on mine. Whenever I run Windows 8.1 setup in Windows, it says you can't install Windows 8.1 because your processor doesn't support "CompareExchange128". Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. :) 

System Specifications:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.0 GHz OC
ASUS P5K3-Deluxe Motherboard
8GB DDR3 RAM
Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition Graphics Card
Antec BP-550 550W PSU 80 Plus Cetified & Fully Modular
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

P.S: I'm a newbie here at LinusTechTips if I made any mistake, please correct me. That would be nice. :)

Hello.

I'm getting an error while installing Windows 8.1 64-bit on my secondary PC. I saw many people using Windows 8.1 on Core 2 Duos, But I just can't install Windows 8.1 64-bit on mine. Whenever I run Windows 8.1 setup in Windows, it says you can't install Windows 8.1 because your processor doesn't support "CompareExchange128". Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. :) 

System Specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.0 GHz OC

ASUS P5K3-Deluxe Motherboard

8GB DDR3 RAM

Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition Graphics Card

Antec BP-550 550W PSU 80 Plus Cetified & Fully Modular

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

P.S: I'm a newbie here at LinusTechTips if I made any mistake, please correct me. That would be nice. :)

It's a featured required on 8.1 ONLY. Windows 8 should still run fine. Your processor does support CMPXCHG16b instructions, so in theory it should work, however, Windows may not be recognizing it, and thus there's nothing you can do save upgrading your CPU, and ensuring all updates have been applied BEFORE trying to upgrade (applies if updating from 8, to 8.1)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

@, What does that mean? I mean repairing the ISO?

By the way I'm currently on Windows 8 64-bit. It showed Windows 8.1 update thingy in the store, but it said that you have to install all updates in order to install Windows 8.1.  I updated everything, but then the Windows 8.1 update disappeared from the Windows Store. I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.1 32-bit and then further upgrading from 8.1 32-bit to 64-bit. How does that sound?

@SlayerOfHellWyrm However I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 through a bootable USB. I downloaded the ISO image from Internet :3. Also, I have a Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 DDR3 Motherboard lying around somewhere. If I install that, will I be able to install Windows 8.1? The second motherboard have different chipset though. I'm trying to switch the OS because of Windows 8 crappies.

Thanks for your positive response. :)

@, What does that mean? I mean repairing the ISO?

By the way I'm currently on Windows 8 64-bit. It showed Windows 8.1 update thingy in the store, but it said that you have to install all updates in order to install Windows 8.1.  I updated everything, but then the Windows 8.1 update disappeared from the Windows Store. I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.1 32-bit and then further upgrading from 8.1 32-bit to 64-bit. How does that sound?

@SlayerOfHellWyrm However I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 through a bootable USB. I downloaded the ISO image from Internet :3. Also, I have a Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 DDR3 Motherboard lying around somewhere. If I install that, will I be able to install Windows 8.1? The second motherboard have different chipset though. I'm trying to switch the OS because of Windows 8 crappies.

Thanks for your positive response. :)

The issue isn't with the motherboard, it's with the processor not being recognized, but you could try it. My guess is, you're s.o.l. and will have to either use 8.1 32 bit (still won't be able to use 64 bit, even if you get 8.1 32, and try to swap it to 64) or 8 in any flavour you wish. The reason the update will typically disappear from the store, is because of some incompatibility that appears, and is only realized after updates. Ideally what you'd want to do, is swap that old board, and cpu, for a new one. If you're on a tight budget, you can just go with a Pentium G3258 which is like $50-$75, and then a Haswell-E, or Haswell refresh compatible motherboard, whcih can run anywhere from $70-$300 depending on features.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

@SlayerOfHellWyrm
Brother I understand that my processor is ancient, but Right Now I just upgraded my primary rig with another 780Ti Classified so I don't have any money in my pocket right now xD. I'm worried that when Windows 9 launches, will I be able to run it on this processor? Or I would've to upgrade to a Pentium G3258 with H81M-K?

@SlayerOfHellWyrm

My guess, is you'll need to upgrade. I doubt there will be support for that thing when 9 launches. Of course, if you want to, you can try to run Threshold when it drops next month (the Windows 9 preview) and see how far you can get.

Thanks Brother! Will upgrade as soon as possible. Just wanted to ask, despite the OS thingy, is a Pentium G3258 faster than a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3 GHz? I mean, The G3258 is a Dual-Core though.

Thanks Brother! Will upgrade as soon as possible. Just wanted to ask, despite the OS thingy, is a Pentium G3258 faster than a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3 GHz? I mean, The G3258 is a Dual-Core though.

It's a dual core, yes, but it's running off the Haswell refresh architecture, which means it's considerably faster. I've also seen people OC'ing it pretty far. It's a nice little chip, so long as you don't need a multi-core, multi-threaded beast. Just for the record, clock speed isn't everything, it's more about the IPC.(instructions per clock) g3258 has a much higher IPC, and can do more per clock, so even at slower clock speeds, and can operate as well. That being said, you've only got two cores, so running anything that would need more, or make use of more... is going to suck.

Okay. I'll go for a Pentium G3258 then. I have ASUS H81M-K lying around (was my old mobo for primary rig), Will I be able to OC the G3258 on that? I read on internet that ASUS has enabled overclocking on H81, B85, H87 Chipsets for Pentium Anniversary Edition Processors. Is that true?

It's a dual core, yes, but it's running off the Haswell refresh architecture, which means it's considerably faster. I've also seen people OC'ing it pretty far. It's a nice little chip, so long as you don't need a multi-core, multi-threaded beast. Just for the record, clock speed isn't everything, it's more about the IPC.(instructions per clock) g3258 has a much higher IPC, and can do more per clock, so even at slower clock speeds, and can operate as well. That being said, you've only got two cores, so running anything that would need more, or make use of more... is going to suck.