ROG Swift, refresh, fps, g sync: so confused.

RedJammer

Ok, last time I  bought a desktop was in the days when COD was just a world war II franchise. Things have changed.

I'm thinking of doing a mATX build with a single gtx 980 thats already purchased. I like the idea of G-sync and I like the idea of 1440p.

Now, a few issues are rising with regards to the right display to buy. At the end of the day, I'm getting the impression that

visuals and graphics have so many components that things are bottlenecking each other at every possible turn at the 1440p level. I seek your help

LTT community! Perhaps you can clarify some of my questions and misunderstandings. The goal is to simply have a great visual experience with the set up. Things that I'm willing to play around with on the set up are 24 vs 27 inch, 1080p vs 1440p. The thing that will be held constant will be the single GTX 980.

1) 1440p gaming with just one GTX 980

it seems running games at ultra at this stage just isn't gonna bring fps singificantly above 60 with just one card on ultra, even the gtx 980(correct me if i'm wrong).

I've been reading reviews and while the numbers on test benches are good for comparison between cards, from a visual experience, does high settings offer an equivalent or better experience to consoles? If so, it swings things in favor of running this set up with ROG swift for me even if I cant run ultra. 

2) G-sync and lower FPS

Once again, numbers are nice, but I don't see numbers, I can imagine that quality is noticeable with a significant change in the numbers. So the question is, with G-sync, does it smooth out sub 60fps frame rates such that it will FEEL like 80 fps?

3) IPS vs TN

lets say we drop the G-sync. Is gaming on 60hz with ultrasettings and NO G-sync still a considerable qualitative improvement from consoles?

I know i may get flack for how I'm presenting my questions here on a PC enthusiast board, but in my head, I just need a bit of the subjective to truly put into context the numbers we see on reviews.

1. Yes you won't be running games on ultra at 1440p on only 1 980 over 60 fps all of the time . But since you're playing at 1440p , one of the advantages of higher resolution is not needing so much anti aliasing ( on 4k you can basically turn it off ) .

2. Obviously 40 fps is not gonna feel like 80fps , thats not the point . The point is that you won't notice , the transition will be smooth , and there will be no jitter .

3. Obviously it's better than consoles . since some console games run at 30fps 720p , @ 1440p 60 fps you are actually getting 8 TIMES more information . Enjoy the PC Master Race. In the TN vs IPS debate it comes down to what games you play . Fast FPS games would benefit from a TN pannel . Beautiful RPGs ( modded skyrim ) are a pleasure on an IPS display .

1) Yes, it's fine, just don't crank the AA too much :), it also depends of the game you are playing.

2) The main point of G-sync is to make the experience as good as possible, even if you are dropping frames. Most reports say that if you enjoy a high fps, it matters little. If you are at 60hz, with 80fps you will see and feel 60; once you go over 60hz and the fps you get is higher I don't see much value in G-Sync.

3) a million times better, not only you are able to go past 30fps and can actually use the 1080p; but you can enjoy graphics. In consoles there is no AA; no cool filters, and all the graphics are on low/medium settings. Put side to side a PC and console game but crank up the graphics on the PC, it's a major difference.

4), it's a personal opinion, but I have an IPS display and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1) Yes, it's fine, just don't crank the AA too much :), it also depends of the game you are playing.

2) The main point of G-sync is to make the experience as good as possible, even if you are dropping frames. Most reports say that if you enjoy a high fps, it matters little. If you are at 60hz, with 80fps you will see and feel 60; once you go over 60hz and the fps you get is higher I don't see much value in G-Sync.

3) a million times better, not only you are able to go past 30fps and can actually use the 1080p; but you can enjoy graphics. In consoles there is no AA; no cool filters, and all the graphics are on low/medium settings. Put side to side a PC and console game but crank up the graphics on the PC, it's a major difference.

4), it's a personal opinion, but I have an IPS display and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yhea what i said -.-

Thanks guys! It's good to see more than one person on the same page. ROG swift here we come!

I have the ROG and I only have a 780 ti. It works great, all you have to do is adjust some settings to get good frames. So you wont run everything on ultra and AA maxed but you dont need to. SLI is one way to go but it is far from perfect. Many games dont even support it and sometimes drivers take awhile to make it work well.