Infamous video game ( Atari's E.T.) landfill faces excavation

raxx

You’ve likely heard the tale before: Millions of unsold copies of the disastrous ET: The Extraterrestrial game for the Atari 2600 lie buried in a New Mexico landfill.

Err.. actually no. I'm lost, what is going on here? Why is someone excavating a landfill?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Err.. actually no. I'm lost, what is going on here? Why is someone excavating a landfill?

Basically the Atari 2600 version of ET was so bad and sold so poorly that atari dumped the remaining unsold games in a landfill, buried them and then covered cement over top of them.

This happened in the early 80s and has since become a legendary piece of gaming folklore.

So because some people think its not true someone is digging up the landfill? Or is it that its being dug up for some other reason and that its just a happy coincidence that we find out for sure.....

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So because some people think its not true someone is digging up the landfill? Or is it that its being dug up for some other reason and that its just a happy coincidence that we find out for sure.....

The former. A documentary is even being made about it.

interesting

Character artist in the Games industry.

So the story is true, we all know that. However for years the location was never known.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The former. A documentary is even being made about it.

Wow, seems mad just over an old Atari game. Dont get me wrong, total gaming nerd, love old games but digging up a landfill just to see if they did something you could find out by just asking. Its not like they have been lying about it for years and denying doing it, right?

Wow, seems mad just over an old Atari game. Dont get me wrong, total gaming nerd, love old games but digging up a landfill just to see if they did something you could find out by just asking. Its not like they have been lying about it for years and denying doing it, right?

They did deny it. We only knew from info leaks. It was suck a rich part of gaming history though.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Good news everyone, i don't own an Atari.

I think it would be an awesome thing to have one of those copies for bragging rights. Hell, they could finally sell.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

My first video gaming experience was with the Atari 2600 Pac-man game so these games bring back memories. It is funny to me how this E.T. game just can't be forgotten no matter how much time passes.

They did deny it. We only knew from info leaks. It was suck a rich part of gaming history though.

This seems to be a huge part of gaming nerdum I totally missed. Although I have never actually owned a console other than the NES, before and after that I always had a PC or some PC style computer (going back as far as my Amstrad) for playing games, oh and coding :D (I remember when a network was a daisy chain of computers lol)