Sony laptop showing wierd patterns on boot

Go to solution Solved by ben91274,

i messaged the new motherboard seller and showed them the video and they have blamed the gpu and offered me a refund. i think i will be selling the lappy as faulty on ebay as its more trouble than its worth.

cheers for the suggestions though! 

hey guys was hoping to find some help on a laptop im trying to fix.

The laptop is a sony vaio vgn-fw56e and randomly one day started doing this:

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/ben91274/media/VID_20130531_224854_231_zps4cea34c1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

i figured it was a GPU fault so took it into a friend at a pc shop but the board got damaged and so now does not boot atall. After this i figured id buy a new board and be done with it however a new board does the exact same thing.

At this stage im wondering what else could be the cause as the only things left are the inverter which was tested in the PC shop and said to be working, or the CPU?

Screen looks fine but does the same thing every time, ive replaced quite a few mainboards before so it shouldnt be any fault from that (i hope!) any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

also theres no display atall on an external monitor tried the vga and hdmi.

Edited by ben91274

sorry but looks like a screen problem (although u cant see damage).You just have to test it by connecting it to another screen and see if the same happens.let me knew ;)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Looks to me like your LCD Back light is not working properly. Not too sure because ive never seen that before, But by the looks of it, I think it would be the LCD back light. Maybe try and claim it on warranty if you still can.

P.T Networx Australia

Thanks for the update Ben, Considering your not getting any images with a external display, this means it may not be your Backlight or your Inverter Board.
I'm having a bit of trouble looking up the specifications for the Laptop, So this may be 1 of 2 things. 

1. You are using on board graphics which is coming from your processor.
2. You have a dedicated Graphics Card which may need to be replaced.

My guess would be that you have Intel graphics, Which would mean that it may be your Processor. 
To my knowledge this is very uncommon. But i believe you should take it to someone else to get a good look at it if its really worth the price tag for you.

It would be difficult to say what exactly is wrong with it without testing it hands on. 

P.T Networx Australia

http://www.reevoo.com/p/sony-vaio-vgn-fw56e

here are the laptop specs, it has a dedicated GPU but its BGA not removable unfortunately. i can pick up another cpu for £10 on ebay but at this point im throwing money at it more out of curiosity of what the fault is rather than to try and repair it and sell it.

do you think it would be more worthwhile to return the board and put the old one back in and flog it on ebay as faulty? im tempted to keep going til i find out what the fault is though...

Its hard to say, 
Because you have already replaced the Motherboard, I not really looking at the board as an issue. And because you have already tried using an external monitor and your using on board graphics, it means that it may be the motherboard. 
So its really hard to say. It wont be the screen, because if it was the screen it would work when you connected it to a external monitor. But what im seeing in that video is a Backlight issue. 
We are still so far away from actually putting the finger on anything, Because the way it sounds is. You have a busted back light or a inverter board, and you have a problem with your Graphics/Motherboard. 
Im not sure what sort of luck you need to have that happen but if im correct, My blessings are apon you, Haha :)

Depending on how much you want this fixed, You could simply send it in to Sony. Or just buy a new Laptop. 

P.T Networx Australia

i messaged the new motherboard seller and showed them the video and they have blamed the gpu and offered me a refund. i think i will be selling the lappy as faulty on ebay as its more trouble than its worth.

cheers for the suggestions though!