mATX build for work

Kotobars

Hewwo!

I would like to share the new build for designers/layouters of the magazines for workies that I've just finished.

I was on a tight budget, and going for value components to ensure the most awesome user experience and comfortable working on the machine. The main goal - it should be fast, stable, small. Layouters are using InDesign and other Adobe shizzle. And also, i kind of wanted to try out some mATX build for the first time (as well as save some space on/under the desk for them guys). So, lets roll, first things first:

Components:

Display: ASUS 24" PA248Q

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG03B-F Black

PSU: 500W Corsair CX500 (CP-9020047-EU)

MB: Gigabyte GA-A75M-DS2

CPU: AMD A8-Series A8-3850 OEM

RAM: 8Gb DDR-III 1600MHz Corsair Value (CMV8GX3M2A1600C11) (2x4Gb KIT)

Cooling: Cooler Master GeminII M4 (RR-GMM4-16PK-R1)

Boot drive: 120Gb SSD Kingston HyperX 3K Series (SH103S3/120G)

Storage: 500Gb SATA-III Western Digital Caviar Green (WD5000AZRX)

Debatable choices made:

Overkill PSU - lowest cost/wattage PSU i could find from Corsair. And i only wanted Corsair :P

AMD APU instead of Intel CPU+some cheap discrete graphics - theres close to no need to run something 3d/decode videos etc on those machines. IMO, perfect value and quality/price ratio for the needs - layouting magazines in InDesign, designing covers, working with some high res pix (hence the 8 gig). Feel free to comment tho on what would you change ^_^

Conclusions and pix:

All in all, I think its a neat little system that will provide my colleagues with satisfaction of how fast it will load apps and process bigger projects, while maintaining low cost, little size, sleekness and cool operation.

I can go on and on about the Silverstone case, its a beauty with gorgeous aluminum lil doors, amazing build quality and design and technical ideas, crazy informative user guide. Love it!

Sooo, picture timez:

PRj99.jpg

Build overview

s9rzg.jpg

M8UzI.jpg

Cooler Master GeminiII M4, keeping the APU cool at max 56degrees C under prime95 blend

1m40j.jpg

Coudld've totally gone with a lower latency large heatspreader RAM, like vengeance, with this cooler, but then again, value/budget!

Qbmqd.jpg

Starting with a case, checking out the fans. Looks like those guys will be really silent, aswell as push loads of air through a nice little filter. Mounting mechanism is brilliant aswell.

TfOtu.jpg

Lets put the little mobo in and cover it all up with a psu, see if it fits!

ZvlOr.jpg

Personally, I like the looks of Kingston HyperX alot, i think its 2nd after Samsung 8xx on the looks-side for me ^^ Lets screw this guy to a little removable 3.5 bay!

mbyRF.jpg

Looks like just enough space for the fan to get air. Convinient holes on the back side and a front fan blowing directly at the socket area will do just fine!

W0n8y.jpg

Small form factor and the lack of 'behind of a motherboard tray' space is not an excuse to not cable manage! :D

It's kind of an early version of my cable management, and the final one is lot more 'polished', but honestly, for work my main goal was getting the wires away from the front fan to get perfect airflow, as well as prevent wires being caught in blades. Those wires that go outside to the right - they are connected to an ssd mounted on that removable bay. If i had some more time, i would make it "more better" © Linus

fvj61.jpg

Closer look inside with a removable bay on and a WD Green storage drive (I believe its actually that new one, with Red features, just released some time ago) sitting on a silicon feet, no vibration at all!

zlKCk.jpg

Thats how this guy looks assembled, pretty neat imo!

Ys9rL.jpg

5dPtF.jpg

9c0iy.jpg

BdJSi.jpg

And here is the final look after its assembled and started successfuly. Top, side, open doors and LED active views!

I hope you enjoyed that little shoecase and feel free to comment with your suggestions! ^^ Maybe that little story will inspire you to try out smaller form factor builds. Personally I found it more challenging, since the space is limited and the technology in smaller cases is usually more complicated, but for me its definitely more fun that way!

ToDo list:

Add links to NCIX for the parts

Add overall price of the build

Get more pictures?

great mobo i have my old pc running that right now with a 7770 and 4gb's of ram but in a full tower

O wow, it looks pretty clean. Nice work.

Are there dust filters on the side?

La`~

O wow, it looks pretty clean. Nice work.

Are there dust filters on the side?

nnnnnope, PSU will get le dust sucked in... But, positive air pressure inside cause of 2 pretty neat intake fans in front should help with accidental dust accumulation... Not to mention that the beauty of that case preventing it to be tucked down under desk and it stays away from the floor! ^^

Wow this looks pretty nice! Wouldn't mind having that as my work computer or htpc. Add the total cost!

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard