Help me replace a few important components.

JohnCarmichael

Hey there community, first of all I want to say I watch Linus' youtube channel since I can't even remember but I never registered to this fine forum. Anyway, its good to be here!

So the thing is, exactly two years ago I bought this PC: (I put it all together and choose the components on my own, not a pro at doing this so now I have to fix what I've done wrong...)

CPU

i5 3550 ivy

Video Card

ATI HD7870@2gb 

Memory

Corsair Red Vengeance kit 2x4gb@1600

HDD

1 TB HDD seagate barracuda @7200

Motherboard

z77-d3h Gigabyte

Power Supply

Sirtec 600W G12S (which I understand is not very good...)

I mainly built this PC for gaming but also for music production programs, photoshop etc.

Since then I added a few components to this rig:

My video card broke down and had to replace it so I upgraded to a GTX 770 @2gb Gigabyte which is performing really good.

I also got a kingstone v300 SSDNow 120gb so I made it my default C:/ partition and installed windows/programs etc on it.

Everything was working fine at this point since a few days ago when I got a brand new SSD, another kingstone v300 but this time a 240gb one (I got this one for a gaming only partition for games like BF4, Skyrim+mods so they'll load more quickly etc). I installed it normally and my computer wouldnt start.

I disconnected the 240 SSD and my PC started again. I connected it back again and disconnected the DVD-RW and the PC started this time so I think it has something to do with the power supply? Not enough juice?

Also another issue I have is, when I restart my PC, in bios my keyboard won't work (its a razer USB keyboard - deathstalker). It will only work if I disconnected ALL usb cables in my PC except for the mouse and keyboard.

I have plugged into my usb ports: a usb audio interface (m-audio c400), microsoft xbox wireless controller receiver, logitech unifying receiver and a few usb data cables for my various gadgets (about 3 cables).

Does this also have something to do with the power supply being too weak for the overall system, or maybe its the motherboard?

Since I upgraded to the 770 GTX I don't have enough space on my motherboard to add another 8 GB of ram (I really need it, when I'm playing games and have a few programs, chrome etc opened in Task Manager > Performance > Memory

Its hazard, I get 7.something gb usage, 100mb free or so...

Since I got the 240gb SSD I installed BF3 and BF4 on it. So when I'm playing I get 60 fps locked in both games, it runs really good but from time to time (rarely) I get stutter spikes for a fraction of a second, could this be because of the ram and not the SSD/PC? Sometimes when I'm playing high end games like these I get the "change color scheme, your pc is underpressure or whatever" message from windows when I alt-tab, that sounds like not enough ram to me but I don't know for sure.

The bottom line is:

I want fix and add new things to my pc so I wanna change my motherboard with a larger one so the memory slots are separated and away from the pci-express so I can add another 8gb. Also on my current one I only have 2 sata-3 slots, maybe I'll add more ssd in the future so it has to have 3 or 4 sata_3 slots. Oh and it has to be with a 1155 cpu socket. SLI/corssfire is not necessary as I only use single slot solution for video. If the usb-keyboard not working problem is a motherboard issue then I will get rid of that with the new motherboard.

New power supply - Do you guys think I should get a new one? If yes, which one, I want something a bit more powerful as I will add more things inside my PC like SSD's or HDD's.

I also want to get a new PC Case as this one is pretty awful... I was thinking of something from corsair?

Let me know what do you have in mind and if you have any other suggestions, thanks so much for putting up with my PC stories...

sounds like your BIOS is just configured incorrectly.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I just tried of getting in the bios but my keyboard won't respond even if I pull out the other usb cables... seems like sometimes the keyboard is working and sometimes not, I have to change the USB port to get it working one time out of 10 tires...