How do universal remotes work?

minimoose

I was wondering how truly universal, "universal" remotes really are.  I am asking because I bought a universal remote at Radioshack for my TV and AV receiver that I lost the remote too.  And the remote wouldn't connect to the receiver.  Upon looking at the packaging it says it works with TVs, DVRs and DVD players.  But I thought it was universal?  How do remotes work?  Shouldn't any remote work with anything with an IR sensor?

If it is too hard to explain, feel free to link me to a remote that should work with my TV and AV receiver, I am looking for something super cheap ($10-20).

Thanks!

Different recievers need different ir blasters, universal remotes work with /most/ things, and usually need programmed to work with specific devices. Did you do that?

As for finding a remote for you, what model is your tv and dvr?

universal remotes use infrared light to transmit instructions to a receiver built in to an electronic device. Commands are usually transmitted through signal modulation, which is interpreted by the device as a given set of commands. Each manufacturer uses a different signal strength and modulation to transmit commands to each individual device.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Different recievers need different ir blasters, universal remotes work with /most/ things, and usually need programmed to work with specific devices. Did you do that?

As for finding a remote for you, what model is your tv and dvr?

My TV is an Insignia TV, i'm sure everything will work with it.  I don't have a DVR but my receiver is a Technics SA-GX690

My TV is an Insignia TV, i'm sure everything will work with it.  I don't have a DVR but my receiver is a Technics SA-GX690

Ah sorry, my brain went to dvr instead of reciever, its almost 2am lol.

I found this http://www.amazon.com/Custom-4-Device-Universal-Back-Light-Control/dp/B007OY4Y02

http://www.findremotecodes.com/remotes/51/universal-electronics/urc-8820/

Here you can see what it supports, it says it supports technics tuners and insignia tvs :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I know it's not what you asked but I suggest you scrounge up about $80, wait for a sale, and get a "true" universal remote like a Harmony.

In Canada, this particular one usually goes on sale for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-650-Remote-Control/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410761120&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony

I've been using a Harmony One for about 3yrs now, and had a 520 before that for about 4yrs.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I know it's not what you asked but I suggest you scrounge up about $80, wait for a sale, and get a "true" universal remote like a Harmony.

In Canada, this particular one usually goes on sale for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-650-Remote-Control/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410761120&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony

I've been using a Harmony One for about 3yrs now, and had a 520 before that for about 4yrs.

My home theater project is being funded by my parent, so I'll see what I can do :)

I found this http://www.amazon.com/Custom-4-Device-Universal-Back-Light-Control/dp/B007OY4Y02

I think you might have made another mistake :)

It doesn't have Technics listed under tuners.

http://www.findremotecodes.com/remotes/51/universal-electronics/urc-8820/

Here you can see what it supports, it says it supports technics tuners and insignia tvs :)

I think you might have made another mistake :)

It doesn't have Technics listed under tuners.http://www.findremotecodes.com/remotes/51/universal-electronics/urc-8820/

post-5552-0-10949200-1410762782_thumb.pn

Oh... I see, I didn't understand the format, my bad!

Thanks!

yup :) but what are you not understanding? Under tuner it says the devices it supports, the numbers are for the remote. You press those buttons to make say a technica tuner to work with the remote :3

yup :) but what are you not understanding? Under tuner it says the devices it supports, the numbers are for the remote. You press those buttons to make say a technica tuner to work with the remote :3

I didn't understand how the page was laid out, so I missed where Technics was listed, that's all :)

I didn't understand how the page was laid out, so I missed where Technics was listed, that's all :)

ah, well if you get the remote i hope it works out :3