AMD to cut R9 290x prices

worldwin

@Notional Wow, you are hopeless. You clearly know nothing about systems programming (be it google drive, twitch, or the various components within a single computer). If you don't understand that, you are not worth discussing this with any further. The answer is staring you in the face. Abstract away from the implementation on a large scale and look at it on a component-component interaction.

As per AMD's video sales, NO! Total sales are up because of SOCs, but that margin is small, especially given the number of units sold worldwide and the prices of those consoles. AMD has stagnated on dGPU sales. Compare it to the previous year and you'll see what I mean.

You have nothing but your vendetta and a complete unwillingness to look beyond the basics.

Take those filings to your accountant and have them give you an analysis. Guarantee you they'll come back with the same basic conclusion. AMD is barely above breaking even in dGPU sales vs. Expenditures.

All I'm asking is that you prove your wild conclusions. Again and again you fail to do so. Like I said speculate and guess all you want, but don't conclude. You do not have the data, nor knowledge to support such conclusions. You cannot prove that 295x2 is without profit (or 290x for that matter, after the price cut), and you could not prove anything about Adaptive Sync, not being able to do variable framerates. You can try and derail the discussion all you want, but your claims are never proven.

Also don't flatter yourself. I can't be bothered with vendettas (what?), but I will question your crap arguments.

Q1 2014

GVS segment revenue was $734 million, down 15% compared to the prior quarter, driven primarily by a decrease in sales of our semi-custom SoCs.

GPU revenue increased sequentially due to strength in our leadership RadeonTM R7 and R9 family of products.

GPU ASP increased sequentially.

Q2 2013 Segment Results – Graphics and Visual Solutions

Graphics and Visual Solutions segment revenue was $320 million, down 5% compared to the prior quarter.

Graphics and Visual Solutions segment revenue was down 5% sequentially due to lower game console royalties.

Graphics and Visual Solutions segment ASP was down compared to the prior quarter.

Professional Graphics recorded another record quarter of sales.

As for Q2 2014, the pdf is borked, I cannot C/P, but it says there is a decrease in dGPU sales due to lower AIB sales, as a result of the crypto currency mining fad dying out. The overall grapchics division is up 5% due to SOC sales.

So you have the consoles fluctuating and then you have the crypto currency bubble bursting. None of that is any surprise to anyone in this forum. None of this is a proof of AMD selling 295x2 at a non profit price. Beat around the bush all you want, but your claims are unfounded. What you BELIEVE and what you KNOW are two very different things. Any Master's student should understand this.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

@Notional, you use information to build conclusions. I have provided you all the necessary information and context to build those conclusions. You have claimed I can't logically arrive at my conclusions, leaving the burden of proof on you. It's basic deductive reasoning. I'm sorry but you need to seriously go back and re-evaluate what you deign to be logic and debate.

I'm not contributing to the further derailment of this thread.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Double post error on mobile site, again...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

@Notional, you use information to build conclusions. I have provided you all the necessary information and context to build those conclusions. You have claimed I can't logically arrive at my conclusions, leaving the burden of proof on you. It's basic deductive reasoning. I'm sorry but you need to seriously go back and re-evaluate what you deign to be logic and debate.

Its your opinion, that doesn't mean that its logical not the way you think at least, and we dont need any proof , we are just giving our opinion (speculative opinion) just like you. Just dont forget that you have a interess conflict here.

From your point of view  nVidia droping the price of the gtx780 in almost 200$ since AMD released the r9 290/290X is what?

I dont see nVidia take a loss in every gtx780 they sell, and this is the 1st time i remeber AMD slashing 290/290X MSRPso i can not see your point.

AMD slashing prices is a very good thing for all gamers, and in its courrent finacial state they simply cant afford to lose money in anything.

I think that this is AMD trying to sell their stock preparing the arrival of a new flagship single GPU.

And it have another positive efect, it will make nVidia slash their new gen GPU price earlier to be price/performance competitve with the R9 290/290X

Its your opinion, that doesn't mean that its logical not the way you think at least, and we dont need any proof , we are just giving our opinion (speculative opinion) just like you. Just dont forget that you have a interess conflict here.

From your point of view nVidia droping the price of the gtx780 in almost 200$ since AMD released the r9 290/290X is what?

I dont see nVidia take a loss in every gtx780 they sell, and this is the 1st time i remeber AMD slashing 290/290X MSRPso i can not see your point.

AMD slashing prices is a very good thing for all gamers, and in its courrent finacial state they simply cant afford to lose money in anything.

I think that this is AMD trying to sell their stock preparing the arrival of a new flagship single GPU.

And it have another positive efect, it will make nVidia slash their new gen GPU price earlier to be price/performance competitve with the R9 290/290X

Nvidia starts with high margins.

And it's not just my opinion. It's basically fact. It's like a court case. All the proof points to xyz, and unless contrarian proof is found, that conclusion is in all likelihood correct.

The new AMD flagship is not shaping up to be much of an improvement given it's a tweak of Tonga. They also didn't shove significantly more cores on the 390 than are on the 980. Without a process shrink it's simply outside the realm of possibility since AMD was already at the limits of TSMC's allowable die size.

And Nvidia promised lower prices on Maxwell way ahead anyway. If anyone's in trouble in the price war, it's AMD unless their architecture proves to be the bee's knees, which is highly unlikely. The two companies trade blows every generation or so. I imagine Nvidia also won't allow a repeat of the 295x2 idiocy either. Two can play the game of a cheap AIO.

I have no conflict of interest. I stand to gain more money from investing in AMD if it proves it can grow. Intel's done ripening.

I think I finally get it. You don't understand the difference between proof and speculation. That is really worrying, considering you are a masters student. You have not provided any sources, that proves your point. Just random sources, that touch on the subject and can be used to speculate a certain view. That has nothing to do with proof.

And it's not just my opinion. It's basically fact. It's like a court case. All the proof points to xyz, and unless contrarian proof is found, that conclusion is in all likelihood correct.

Ah I get it, so if I cannot disprove that God exists, then that is in itself a proof of god existence? No it is nowhere near basically fact. It is speculation and nothing else. All of this is your subjective opinion/speculation. It is not fact, it is not proven. Again, I can only say, that if you think the burden of proof is lifted that easily, than i truly fear for your education. Nothing like this would ever pass a research paper or project on a masters level in Denmark. I very much doubt it will at Miami. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I think I finally get it. You don't understand the difference between proof and speculation. That is really worrying, considering you are a masters student. You have not provided any sources, that proves your point. Just random sources, that touch on the subject and can be used to speculate a certain view. That has nothing to do with proof.

Ah I get it, so if I cannot disprove that God exists, then that is in itself a proof of god existence? No it is nowhere near basically fact. It is speculation and nothing else. All of this is your subjective opinion/speculation. It is not fact, it is not proven. Again, I can only say, that if you think the burden of proof is lifted that easily, than i truly fear for your education. Nothing like this would ever pass a research paper or project on a masters level in Denmark. I very much doubt it will at Miami. 

WOW! You are either the best troll ever or a complete joke. If the financial records of AMD aren't enough for you to make that tiny of an extrapolation, I'm sorry but there's no helping you. AMD's expenditures are up significantly over the last 5 years. The revenues are boosted somewhat (console sales), leaving dGPU sales stagnant or fallen. There's no other option. If sales are down, dGPU investments aren't being recouped as much, meaning by simple inductive reasoning, that they sell their chips at prices which only just turn a profit or break even. There's no other possible option!

No, I proved my point with sources and strong reasoning based on proof. You can't break the reasoning or the poof, and therefore I'm correct because there is no situation in which I can be wrong (within this argument). When all other options are eliminated, that's as strong a proof as any set of equations or pseudo code for an algorithm combined with an inductive proof. I'm sorry your education is in such a sorry state.

But again, I'm not going to entertain you, or derail this thread, any further.

-snip-

Your bias is sickeningly obvious.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Your bias is sickeningly obvious.

??!!

I simultaneously say Intel has ripened on the vine/has little more potential worth investing in and AMD makes a ton of stupid business decisions/shows poor ability to grow (as demonstrated by lack of investor faith) and that makes me sickeningly biased?! Are you high?!

??!!

I simultaneously say Intel has ripened on the vine/has little more potential worth investing in and AMD makes a ton of stupid business decisions/shows poor ability to grow (as demonstrated by lack of investor faith) and that makes me sickeningly biased?! Are you high?!

Trying to dismiss my opinion on your former posts by claiming that I'm high just makes me feel even more so.

But let's end this thread derailing.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Trying to dismiss my opinion on your former posts by claiming that I'm high just makes me feel even more so.

But let's end this thread derailing.

I'm not dismissing you. I'm saying you make no sense. Expound on it (in a private message).

The new AMD flagship is not shaping up to be much of an improvement given it's a tweak of Tonga. They also didn't shove significantly more cores on the 390 than are on the 980. Without a process shrink it's simply outside the realm of possibility since AMD was already at the limits of TSMC's allowable die size.

And Nvidia promised lower prices on Maxwell way ahead anyway. If anyone's in trouble in the price war, it's AMD unless their architecture proves to be the bee's knees, which is highly unlikely. The two companies trade blows every generation or so. I imagine Nvidia also won't allow a repeat of the 295x2 idiocy either. Two can play the game of a cheap AIO.

I have no conflict of interest. I stand to gain more money from investing in AMD if it proves it can grow. Intel's done ripening.

What? have you ever heard of  " in dubio pro reo" and your logic  only leaves more " dubio",

you must know that AMD have a "take or pay" contract with TSMC so AMD get better prices because that,TSMC does not make only GPU chip for AMD, so better overall prices.And the die size of AMD GPUs are in average about 30% smaller than the nVidia GPUs, thats why the asus dcuII cooler are not that great in this genaration of AMD cards ,it was ported directly form gtx780/ti and some of the pipes do not make contact with the AMD GPU.

How do you know already that the " R9 390/X"( or whatever)  will preform worst than the gtx 980( it may be so, or not), besides in the same 28nm of Kepler nVidia was able the make Maxwell, besides AMD can still use more die size just put more 30% hawai cores and with will be it, but i think AMD will teak their GPU at least on the memory control units like in tonga. we need to wait and see.

Nvidia slashing prices on Maxwell early on release, in your dreams!

From what we know the GTX 980 will cost ~750$ just like the GTX 780 at release.

They will slash the prices because the GTX 980 will have similar preformance with the 290X+5% and if the 290X are at sale for less 200$ it will be hard to nVidia not to drop prices.

No matter from where you look at it better prices are always better for every one.

What? have you ever heard of " in dubio pro reo" and your logic only leaves more " dubio",

you must know that AMD have a "take or pay" contract with TSMC so AMD get better prices because that,TSMC does not make only GPU chip for AMD, so better overall prices.And the die size of AMD GPUs are in average about 30% smaller than the nVidia GPUs, thats why the asus dcuII cooler are not that great in this genaration of AMD cards ,it was ported directly form gtx780/ti and some of the pipes do not make contact with the AMD GPU.

How do you know already that the " R9 390/X"( or whatever) will preform worst than the gtx 980( it may be so, or not), besides in the same 28nm of Kepler nVidia was able the make Maxwell, besides AMD can still use more die size just put more 30% hawai cores and with will be it, but i think AMD will teak their GPU at least on the memory control units like in tonga. we need to wait and see.

Nvidia slashing prices on Maxwell early on release, in your dreams!

From what we know the GTX 980 will cost ~750$ just like the GTX 780 at release.

They will slash the prices because the GTX 980 will have similar preformance with the 290X+5% and if the 290X are at sale for less 200$ it will be hard to nVidia not to drop prices.

No matter from where you look at it better prices are always better for every one.

I know exactly when in dubio pro reo is. You're confused as to who committed it.

TSMC does not have a take or pay contract with AMD. AMD had that sort of leverage with GloFo, but TSMC runs the show.

TSMC is the only open foundry which currently produces dGPU cores. GloFo does SOC work, but not dGPUs.

AMD's dies are smaller than Nvidia's?! Re skinned old architectures are smaller than Nvidia's newest chip usually, but flagship to flagship AMD is the same size or larger.

Nvidia has the core count of the 980 sitting at 2048 instead of the 780TI's 2880. GM204 is also decidedly smaller than GK110, but it has a maximum core count of 2560.

In another thread on this forum, Nvidia's prices are already posted. The 980 costs what the 290 did at launch. It costs 600 flat.

AMD shove 30% more Hawaii cores on?! In your dreams. The 290x is already an oven of a card.

They can tweak memory, but not much else.

No need to wait and see. We know AMD's pattern, and they never deviate from it.

AMD shove 30% more Hawaii cores on?! In your dreams. The 290x is already an oven of a card.

You seems to forget that AIB:s use their own coolers. See the Sapphire cards for example.

I know exactly when in dubio pro reo is. You're confused as to who committed it.

TSMC does not have a take or pay contract with AMD. AMD had that sort of leverage with GloFo, but TSMC runs the show.

TSMC is the only open foundry which currently produces dGPU cores. GloFo does SOC work, but not dGPUs.

AMD's dies are smaller than Nvidia's?! Re skinned old architectures are smaller than Nvidia's newest chip usually, but flagship to flagship AMD is the same size or larger.

Nvidia has the core count of the 980 sitting at 2048 instead of the 780TI's 2880. GM204 is also decidedly smaller than GK110, but it has a maximum core count of 2560.

In another thread on this forum, Nvidia's prices are already posted. The 980 costs what the 290 did at launch. It costs 600 flat.

They can tweak memory, but not much else.

No need to wait and see. We know AMD's pattern, and they never deviate from it.

We know AMD pattern?! the only thing i know from AMD is that they have no pattern, you never know with AMD, but you can be right or not we still havent see any leaks regarding new R9 cards so we dont know. And AMD have a take or pay ( or somethung like that) contract with TSMC that ends this year, go search the net.

You seems to forget that AIB:s use their own coolers. See the Sapphire cards for example.

They are still ovens. My little brother is running a pair of 7970s on liquid and they still get to 88 C with Swiftech blocks and a quad radiator.

They are still ovens. My little brother is running a pair of 7970s on liquid and they still get to 88 C with Swiftech blocks and a quad radiator.

There's something horribly wrong with the blocks or their installation, then. I run an R9 280x with an Aquacomputer block @1200 core/1700 memory clocks and it hasn't gone over 44 in months with a single 280mm rad and a 4.8Ghz FX-6300 in the loop.