Server or desktop grade hardware?

Go to solution Solved by bigross123,

I would go old server equipment if you are okay with it being loud. I personally went with a used hp desktop for my lab just because of noise and power consumption. Quad core is plenty for home use just make sure whether you go server grade or desktop make sure you get as much ram as you can, vm's eat it up quick. I also recommend you pick up a dual or quad Intel nic from ebay. 

Hey,

I'm looking into running a little virtualisation server at home with an ESXi enviroment that will run things like a web server, database server, smb fileserver, ftp server and maybe some ubuntu or windows machines.

Now i'm looking into the hardware and since i'm pretty new to server hardware i was wondering what would be the better option here.

Going for a real (refurbished) server, building one out of consumer hardware (a desktop basically) or maybe building one out of server hardware myself...

My budget is around 200-300 euros. I'm not expecting heavy loads, it'll just be used for typical home usage, like backups, media and small databases/ websites thats won't be public.

I'd like to hear what you guys think!

Greetings,

Echelon

Server equipment is much more expensive than 200-300, so i would recommend a desktop, unless you can get a cheap refurbished server

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Server equipment is much more expensive than 200-300, so i would recommend a desktop, unless you can get a cheap refurbished server

Thanks for the reply!

I can get somthing like 2x Xeon X5355 and 12Gb RAM for around 250 euros (HDD's not included).

Again i don't know how this stands up against a desktop around that price.

I won't be doing anything CPU heavy, so i don't know if a real server would be overkill and if i could better spend the extra money on something else.

An older server with a couple of xeons and a bit of ram will do you fine as you said x5355 and 12gb ram would be plenty ebay does quite alot of old corporate servers that were decommissioned so you might find a good deal there on something nice.

I picked up a used HP dual core for <$100US and put Windows Server 2012 R2 on it. I have it set up as an FTP, web, and occaisionally, a game server. The only thing the computer was missing was Hyper-V support on the motherboard, this shouldn't affect you.

Unless you plan on doing something more, I don't think would need anything that powerful. Mine runs MC and other servers for my friends and I just fine.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

I would go old server equipment if you are okay with it being loud. I personally went with a used hp desktop for my lab just because of noise and power consumption. Quad core is plenty for home use just make sure whether you go server grade or desktop make sure you get as much ram as you can, vm's eat it up quick. I also recommend you pick up a dual or quad Intel nic from ebay. 

Thanks for brining up noise. I was wondering what the noise difference would be?

Are servers really that loud? Because a cheap-ish intel CPU could, with a big enogh radioator, almost be cooled passively.

is a good example of normal computer vs server. If the server is going to be in a room you do anything in I would stay away from it because its just to loud for that but if your sticking it in a closet or basement that might be ok.

is a good example of normal computer vs server. If the server is going to be in a room you do anything in I would stay away from it because its just to loud for that but if your sticking it in a closet or basement that might be ok.

Thanks! 

I'll be going for a desktop, because it'll be in my room all the time and i don't think i'd be able to sleep with the noise of a real server.